Meter removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks ,
I am removing a wall in my kitchen which presently has the consumer unit and the meter on it. The consumer unit is being removed and relocated as we speak, but obviously the meter needs to be moved by Manweb (our supplier).

We have rung them today to get them to shift it and they said they they would ring back with an appointment (we are not optimistic!) .

Would anyone know what costs are likely to be involved and just as importantly the lead time before I can expect someone to actually turn up ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
depends how busy they are, and how strapped for cash they are ;)

I dont wish to hijack your thread, but I too was considering a wall removal which will involve the meter being moved, it will also involve the incomer being extended to get to the new location, do you think they will do this? I presume they will have to switch off the whole street to do this?

Or would they do it Live? Just curious, rather them than me

Hijack over :cool:

not your problem is it.

mate did it, took board with meter down, re reouted cable to new position screwed board back to new wall

Sponsored Links
tut tut tut Breezer NOT RECOMMENDED.

Firstly you need to contact your supplier (who you get the bill off) who you say is MANWEB, As I've now been told us MANWEBians don't exist any more you best contact SCOTTISH POWER. :LOL:

Depending where you want it moving too is how much it will cost.

If the cutout needs moving then an engineer will come out and assess how much it will cost to do (Have heard it can run into 1000's :eek: but I don't price so I don't know).
In this case ask for what used to be called mains but are now called energy networks.

If it is just the meter which you want moving then this is usually free but can't be moved far from the cutout.
In this case when you phone up ask to speak to metering now called Dataserve.

Hope I've been of some help :)

They dont turn off the whole street lol. <Pictures a big switch at the top of the street with "mains" written on it> :LOL:

They do it live. ;) This is one reason its so expensive.

breezer said:
not your problem is it.

mate did it, took board with meter down, re reouted cable to new position screwed board back to new wall

Just don't try it if the service cable is lead and paper ;)

Thanks for the replies.

The existing feed cable is two cables not three , so presently we earth through neutral ? Hope that makes sense , my Spark told me that .

The meter itself needs to move less than 2m. My Spark said he would have moved it , allthough he wouldnt have been comfortable doing so , but as the cable is so old it would probably fracture , consequently knocking the whole streets power out :eek:

Crafty said:
They dont turn off the whole street lol. They do it live. ;) This is one reason its so expensive.

Shikes!, a big rubber gimp suit no doubt, I'd want paying a lot of money to do that too :eek:

Adam_151 said:
Just don't try it if the service cable is lead and paper ;)

My brother-in-law did this at his house in 1988.....

I'm still waiting for the bang. [Cringe]

just remember that there is no protection device on an LV mains cable coming into your house apart from two nice big 315A HRC fuses on each of the distribution boards in your local substations, and feeding that is probably two big heavy 500kva 11kv transformers , so i wouldnt go doing any DIY on the mains unless you are confident. i have seen people remove cutout fuses though, which will make the meter and the tails feeding the meter DEAD, but cutout fuses are usually sealed, but often the previous occupiers must have removed the seal! if you get asked ;) lol at MAINS switch at the end of the street! i think people would be suprised at just how BASIC the LV distribution network is......and im sure ROO would agree LOL

BoxCleva said:
, consequently knocking the whole streets power out :eek:

And probably knocking him out as well.

The fault current on the incoming mains is probably 200 or maybe 300 amps before the fuse for the street blows. That 50 or 60 kilowatts confined into the damaged end of the cable for as long as it takes for the fuse to blow.... Roman Candle comes to mind

Only got a basic knowledge of mains from my days and free meals at hoylake. :D
And I wasn't too keen on the video that they showed of a sub going up. :eek:
Apparently not so long ago one of our lads knocked a few houses off by dropping a pair of pliers in a buzz bar chamber, touching 2 of the bars.
Must of tripped the RCD at the top of the street :LOL:

And is it true about the rubber gimp suit efiste2? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back