meter replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to know what happens if a customer does not allow his supplier to change the meter once it has reached a certain age.

Can the supplier just leave the old meter and declare it unsafe?

I've moved into a property and i'm pretty sure the meter is past the sell by date. There is a sticker on it showing a number which looks like a 90.

Would a supplier write to the new account owner or would they just ignore the meter once they have been declined the chance to change it?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Would a supplier write to the new account owner or would they just ignore the meter once they have been declined the chance to change it?

for the difinative answer, ask the supplier

Meters are not routinely replaced because they are unsafe, but because the owners have a duty to ensure they are accurate. Since recalibrating old ones is expensive and time consuming, replacement is the chosen solution.

As to not allowing access to replace it - in the short term, nothing is likely to happen, other than reminders from the company who want to replace it.

Eventually, access will be required, and if still denied, this may well raise suspicions as to why they cannot gain access to their own equipment.

Ultimately they could obtain a warrant, or just cut the supply cable in the street. No doubt the cost for reconnection would be very high indeed.

When our meter was due to be replaced about a year ago we wern't in. So they sent us a letter asking us to organise a time for them to change it within the next 6 months else they'll take legal action to gain access to their equipment. I didn't leave it to find out if their threats of gaining entry were bull or not though :p

Sponsored Links
how old was your previous meter?

did you ask for the replacement?

hi there

we had ours change last month service life is 20 years for the old dial type meters about two days for the new one he fitted had it changed the next week again coz it wuz rubbish basically

cheers
ps that was eon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back