Meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building a new property and am currently on first fix for the electrics. I am using the council for electrical inspection.

My problem

CU near the incoming supply that supplies the basement and Garage, however I want to put another CU under the stairs.

The distance is approximately 16 meters from the incoming supply to the location of the CU under the stairs.

I am looking at running 35mm individual tails to the CU with a 16mm earth, they will be run in the space between the ground floor and the basement and will not be exposed.

Can you see any problems with this.

Sponsored Links
Can't understand why you would want a 2nd CU? especially if you're going to the effort of a complete re-wire, which I think you are.

It would be, in opinion, easier, neater and sensible to replace the Cu you have with a greater number of ways and bring all circuits to that.

Perhaps I haven't read this very well?

I would not think that using meter tails was the best way to do it,I would proberly fit a 100 amp switchfuse and a 3 core swa to the second board

Sponsored Links
35mm² seems very overkill for a domestic installation.

SWA / split con, and a switch fuse is the only real way to do it IMO, but do you really need a second CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back