Meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Could some one explain some thing to me plz. Ok I've just noticed in the house we have moved into the neutral tails from the cut out into the meter are the wrong way around going into the meter. The two live tails are ok but the neutrals are not. Is this a problem or not .

Jason.

Sponsored Links
The neutral terminals are just a solid block in the meter, simply giving the meter a neutral reference for voltage measurement.

It wont matter if the neutrals are incorrect, but it would the lives.

They should be the correct way around really though.

Thank you for that. It was playing on my mind ever since a seen it, and with young children or any one really , you can never be to careful .

Thank you again.

Sponsored Links
It might make the meter run backwards, if it were the old dial type with a spinning disk, but the modern types have an anti run-back device that locks the meter against any backward running. :LOL: :LOL:

One particular make of digital meter will display "Red" ... reverse energey detected

Yep, happens when someone is feeding the grid with their windmill or sunlight thing.
Was thinking that the old disc type meters are in essence an AC motor which works from current (and voltage to give Wh), reversing the lives on an AC motor doesn't make it spin backwards so just curious to know what will happen on a meter?

It spins backwards unless its got a stop. Sometimes happens with solar PV until the DNO receive the commisioning forms and schedule in a meter swap :LOL:

Yep, happens when someone is feeding the grid with their windmill or sunlight thing.

If you generate enough, and want to export, you need an import/export meter. It records what goes in AND what goes out.

It wouldnt be the dno doing a meter swap, it would be the suppliers or there agents

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back