Meter tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
given that I’ve already started is this going to cause me some issues?
There would definitely be the very strong possibility of 'issues', but some might dare to suggest that, in reality, it would only become an issue if they knew (i.e. if you told them) that you had already started the work :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
well thats ridiculous. I guess my only option is to demolish the house having missed jumping through hoops. I don’t understand why they change the rules what’s the point in3 years collage if I’m not qualified.
As I said, if you had notified the work when you should have done, they would very probably have accepted that you are 'qualified'.

In my most recent post, I have, however, hinted (naughtily!) at one possible course you might wish to consider :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Let’s say I theoretically rang them and said I was doing a full rewire and that I am in fact competent, do I still need it checking on completion or is that good enough.
As I've said, if you told them that you had already started the work, then that could/would be a problem.

However, if you talked to them about work which you intended to do, they would probably tell you that you should notify it and, if they were satisfied that you were competent (which they probably would be, if you are 'qualified' and experienced), then they might well not require anyone else to test etc.

However, as I've said, notification could cost you a few hundred quid (varies a lot between LAs).

Kind Regards, John

You are presumably most worried about the work being done correctly and safely, so my thought would be to do the work, write out the certificates, and skip paying the building control. You're not benefiting from the oversight and the work won't be done any differently.
If you were going to put the house on the market next week then it might be value for money to put the buyer at rest, but if you show them your qualifications then that might be more reassuring to many than a BC certificate anyway.

Well, the bad stuff is you might be fined a 1000 pounds, the work might be unsafe and you might have trouble selling your house. So you can pay a few hundred to avoid a theoretical tiny chance of a 1000 fine.

The only restriction on you is that it is the law that for certain work you must notify Building Control before starting - like you would if building an extension.

Not sure as I've never done it, and they vary, but I don't think it adds up. Their fee is their fee.

If they discovered you were a qualified electrician, I don't think they would do much except trust your certificates and bank the fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back