Meter tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
32mm earthed steel conduit and 25mm split concentric cable is the proper way to do this job.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I managed to get them up the cavity, it’s cost me a few holes into the cavity and very cut up hands and arms but the holes don’t seem to have made a difference structurally and I’ll get filled in this weekend by my plaster. At least now I don’t have to worry.

the only cables that won’t be horizontal or vertical to a outlet will be the outside lights but I’ve managed to get them with in 150mm of a corner. That as far as I’m aware is legal according to the pics I’ve seen.

Cheers.

Yes in the walls within 150mm of a corner apart from the floor edge is fine.
If you want to repair the walls fill up any large holes you can use sand and cement a fairly dry mix but dampen the wall is ok.

Jesus.
The house is getting a full re wire which I will get signed off as unfortunately I’m not part p even though I can test.

The person signing it off declares that he/she designed and tested it. When he/she designs it he/she will probably decline to put the CU at that height.

It’s going at 1800.

are parallel cables slowed here. So mains earth is 16mm but can I run 2x 10mm.

where I was this was allowed but if it’s not here I won’t do it.
Cheers.

are parallel cables slowed here. So mains earth is 16mm but can I run 2x 10mm. where I was this was allowed but if it’s not here I won’t do it.
Probably not regarded by some as 'ideal' but, yes, 'allowed' ...

upload_2020-1-6_19-12-43.png

upload_2020-1-6_19-13-13.png

... and 523.7(i) says (I'm not sure what counts as its 'first indent'!) ...

upload_2020-1-6_19-15-18.png

Kind Regards, John

Thank you. I think given I can’t get to it after it’s done and it’s not as common here as elsewhere I’ll just get the 16mm.

thanks everyone for the quick replies in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys just a question regarding this part p and notifiable works.
so I have done pretty much a full rewire (re used some existing black and red). And moved the switchboard, and bathroom work.
this is notifiable work, I’ve not completed it yet but should do next week ready for plaster.What are my options with notifying.
Notification to the Building Control and their fee should be done before you start - or get a registered electrician to do it.

I’m not registered with anybody although I am qualified and able to test. And it’s all to standards.
That might have been fine had you notified it at the proper time.

If I have to get a third party in will they want/need to see the work before plaster? Or would they just do a full test.
They should supervise the work so it depends how far along you are. Definitely before plastering.

can I do all the work and test then get it signed off?
No.

I’m confused because It makes no sense that being a electrician It’s not acceptable to work on my own house without getting someone else to sign my work off.
It is acceptable, but you should have notified it before starting.

Contact the BC and see what they say.

... so I have done pretty much a full rewire (re used some existing black and red). And moved the switchboard, and bathroom work. this is notifiable work, I’ve not completed it yet but should do next week ready for plaster.
What are my options with notifying.
Unfortunately, strictly speaking you have more-or-less run out of normal options ...

... if you were going to do the work, you should either have notified it yourself (and paid the £££) or else engaged a 'third party certifier' (if you could find one) before you started the work. If you had got a n electrician who was a member of a 'self-certification Scheme' (misnomer!) to do the work, then he/she would not have had to notify (at minimal cost) until after the work was completed.

Local authorities do have 'regularisation procedures' (to deal with situations in which work which should have been notified was not notified when it should have been), but they can be even more expensive than notification. You would have to discuss that with youyr LA.

From what you've said, it sounds as if you would probably have been regarded as competent to undertake, inspect and testy the work had you notified it when you should have done, but that cannot be done retrospectively.

Kind REgards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back