Method of attaching Earth to cable sheath on TN-S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just doing some work at home, pulled out the Drier and noticed that my main earth is attached to the sheath with 2 normal earthing clamps.

Now, is this correct? I've not seen it before, its always been under a covering (presumably welded/sweated on)

I have a feeling it was applied before I moved in, new C/U at the same time, and the cable looks as new as the other bonding to water/gas.

next up, would it cost me to have it rectified by the DNO if it is incorrect.

Tried google for methods of TNS but got nowhere...

Sponsored Links
The connection to the lead sheath is the DNO's so don't interfere with it, if it doesn't meet their spec they should change it FOC so contact them

it was a "temporary" arrangement when we got a new (full sized , as apposed to the old small one) drier a few months ago, now in the process of fixing said arrangement, just never got close enough to the cut-out to notice before.

I'm aware its not mine to mess with, just wondered what their standards were to whether its worth a phone call?

Sponsored Links
I recently had an old cast iron cutout replaced at a property which I think is not far at all from you. (behind Guiseley Morrisons)

They put on a nice new head, and hey presto two earth clamps for a 16.0mm earth tail.

If you're in and EDF (UK Power Network) area, they won't change it FOC - in fact they will deny all responsibility for it.

'No luv, that's been done illegally, we ALWAYS sweat ours on. Customer needs to cough up £3K for a new supply or you can fit an earth rod'

Me thinking - bit tricky that for a third floor flat with no garden....

99% of installations that I see must be earthed illegally then.

Sb

3rd floor?

You saying that just made me think - with this weekend's anniversary reminding me of the time I stood on the open-air roof of one of the WTC towers in New York - OK, maybe we don't have installations at 100+ floors up in this country, but what are the earthing arrangements, and where, for people in blocks of flats?

• Thanks
Reactions: syl
A lot have rising mains, if supplied by the DNO PME is used. If the mains belong to the "building" (meters in the basement) they can be no different to a single phase domestic

A lot have rising mains, if supplied by the DNO PME is used. If the mains belong to the "building" (meters in the basement) they can be no different to a single phase domestic
What if the final circuits begin hundreds of metres away from the basement?

'No luv, that's been done illegally, we ALWAYS sweat ours on.

And that's a load of Bull!

Indeedy.

I have regular telephonic (and sometimes face-to-face) bust-ups with ENWL (formerly known as Norweb) about their responsibilities concerning earthing and TN-S supplies.

Now I am matey with one of the main guys covering South Manchester.

He's never used any Tenby clamps on sheaths. ;) ;) ;) ;)

If there are many floors and flats, and long distances, involved, do you not have to 'PME' the supply at places within the building? If so, how do you do it - with a very large 'rising earthing conductor', or what?

(It's a bit like the question about how on earth the Americans get water to the tops of some of their (very) high rise buildings - there must be some very serious pumps involved :))

Kind Regards, John.

I'll answer that tomorrow when the wine has worn off! (and I've looked at the correct document)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back