micro bore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to confirm the fragility of plastic microbore piping. My system is now between 15 & 20 years old, and four mornings ago I was awoken by the sound of the kitchen filing with water from a broken plastic pipe coming off the microbore manifold in the floor cavity above. I had great difficulty sourcing the relevant parts locally (North Kent) at short notice, so with help from a plumber friend I swapped most of the plastic pipe for 10mm copper. I bought 15mm radiator fittings, one for each end of the rads, then joined a small section of 15mm copper pipe from the rads to the 10mm copper pipe with a compression fitting. Of each rad that I converted, the feed plastic pipe was too brittle to manipulate at all. The return pipe was not too bad. I have only got two more rads to upgrade, and do not expect to sleep easily until they are done. If you have got an elderly microbore system, I would recommend moving house.

Split from hi-jacked post

Sponsored Links
funkydung said:
Sorry to harp on about this. I just want to get this cleared up once and for all.

Can I definitely remove radiators on a microbore system without draining the who C/H system down? (as in by tightening the lockshield and inlet valve).

The only reason im checking this is because a plumber told me that there was absolutely no way id be able to remove any microbore rad without bleeding the system first. Yet other people tell me i can. I'm scared of what might happen!

Under the cap you unscrewed will be a allen key hole to turn the valve off clockwise.

Another point you can't connect off the 10mm for the extra rad/towel rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back