Microbore pump speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My new system is a Worcestershire Bosch Greenstar 24Ri with a hot water tank and 8 radiators fed by 25 year old microbore.
It's an open Y system with no by pass (one radiator is always on).
The radiators seem much hotter than the old system - they're just about touchable.

But... I have a low hum that permeates the house It's not terrible just enough to annoy.
I found that turning the pump speed down to 1 helps.
It's the cheapest pump that screwfix do
However I searched here and found mention of boiler over heating. So I only left it like that for an hour before losing my nerve & returned the speed to 2, where the installer left it.

The system was powerflushed when installed but when i had cause to remove a radiator there was still a lot of black water that came out. So I hosed through that radiator and got load more.
I put extra fernox in the header tank when i put the radiator back.

So should I try ia lower speed & see if the boiler cuts out?, buy a better pump? hose out all the radiators and put some noise inhibitor or put up with the hum?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would normally leave a pump on a microbore system on at least 2, if not 3.

consider some x400 desludger to cleanse the system...will need draining after 2-4 weeks and flushing and inhibiting.
turn the pump down to the lowest setting that will still warm all the rads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back