microbore under door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to move a radiator in a timber frame house. There are 6x2's all over the place so I have come up with the following idea and need some advice.

The old position is on one side of the back door, the new position is on the other side. It is obviously a downstairs position.

The pipework is 8mm microbore and I am going to lay pipes from the bottom of the drop to the door, then into a shallow channel in the concrete floor, then back up and into the studwork.

There will be a 90 degree angle down then another to run the pipes under the door then another up and finally one more (four 90 degree angles in all)
____ ____
-----|_____|-----

Will all these bends cause a problem with the flow in 8mm microbore?

Sponsored Links
If I undersrtand you correctly, you're using the current tails for the existing rad to as the starting point for the new run.

From what direction do the existing pipes feed into the current radiator - i.e. do they come up from the floor or down from supply pipes above? If they are fed from below, then your proposed relocation method will create another problem, in that you will be creating a perfect scenario for airlocks to occur.

In general, though, it's best to avoid using elbows on microbore (and indeed any pipework) whenever possible, and you should make the bends as smooth as possible.

Im using the current tails which are fed from loft.
Thanks for your interest :)

Sponsored Links
Am a bit confused by the phrase "back up into the studwork" in your original post. Does this mean that the current wall's studwork is exposed, or are you talking about cutting a bit out for the pipe run?

I've drawn a picture.

I was going to do the top way but now I'm going to do bottom way instead as I wasn't conviced the top way would work.

Im chiselling out slots where pipes need to go through studwork then re-plasterboarding afterwards.

albums

//www.diynot.com/network/kris2009/albums/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back