Microphone Volume Too Low - Can't Adjust (Windows XP)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to help my Aunt with her skype:

Microphone works but volume too low - only just registers when its touching my lips!!! This is not just a skype problem - volume is too low for sound recorder, etc.

Tried adjusting volume, etc but no speaker icon in taskbar. Have managed to open it using a long window method but there are no settings for adjusting the microphone volume.

Tried updating driver but says its upto date.

Tried a second microphone - no difference.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried clicking the small arrow on the right hand side of the taskbar ( show hidden icons) and looked to see if the volume control is there?
Alternatively go to control panel/sounds and audio devices and tick the place volume control in taskbar box, then apply. Volume control should then be in the taskbar. ;) ;)

The speaker icon is missing from the toolbar.

When I go to control panel/...... The box alongside 'volume' is greyed out - preventing me from adding the tick.

All i can suggest is to go to Control Panel/system/device manager and check whether anything has a yellow warning at the side of it. It does sound like somethings not working as it should. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
No yellow symbols.

Tried updating driver - reports that everything is ok

ttt

Still struggling with this one - any help appreciated :eek:)

try and get a microphone or another web cam and test them if they are ok then it may be a faulty web cam

what windows do you run?

can you post a pic of the systray (bottom right of the screen) please.

just remembered in the skype audio options under microphone, make sure automatically correct volume if not ticked

Already tried to mics - problem stays.

Windows XP

Mic volume is low in skype, sound recorder, etc - would skype setting affect all these?

Ps, will ask my aunt to check the skype setting asap.

Thanks

Will post an update asap.

sorry i didn't read your post fully :oops: if the microphone volume is low across the board, then check the sound settings in the control panel,

is the sound onboard or is there a seperate sound card?

if all else fails, start windows in safe mode, then right click on "my computer" and go to properties, open the device manager, right click on the audio device and uninstall driver. then restart windows normally and cancel the driver install. then go and do a windows update, click custom and install the driver from the hardware tab.

Sponsored Links
Back