microwave oven question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise this is a longshot but does anyone know or does anyone have a working magnatron from a microwave oven to test were they could tell me the ohmic reading if any across this device. My sons microwave has gone dead blowing the fuse on microwave command and I just want to confirm my diagnoses.

Sponsored Links
The tests listed on that link are the only ones that you can do on a magnatron but even if it passes those it does not mean it is good though.

If your microwave has a HV diode attached to the HV Capacitor you can check that but if you are unsure in even the remotest do not work on it as depending on microwave you could have over 10000V in there.

The microwave was invented during the second world war when it was found the radar was killing seagulls which were landing ready cooked. It was thought that we could produce a death ray. Although the death ray did not work the microwaves are still very dangerous and have killed many people working on radar and also made them sterile. I would not consider working on a microwave without the safety equipment.

As to the tester even that can give odd readings we were finding quite a high number of failures until it was realised the mobile phone was polling and it was the phone not the microwave setting off the meter.

So don't use phone near head and don't carry in trouser pocket unless you want to become sterile! Women have best idea carrying them in hand bags!

Sponsored Links
The risk of working on an unplugged microwave oven is not one regarding RF energy, because none is being generated.
The real risk is electrocution. HV capacitors can store a potentially lethal charge (for a very long time after being switched off).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen but in the end my son has decided to buy a new one costing £68 as I told him the probability was that it was the magnetron which was faulty and a replacement magnetron was priced at £70 I believe most manufacturers are deliberately massively overpricing spare parts on most appliances for reasons which is profitable to them but extremely costly to the environment.I did know the dangers of working on this type of appliance as I waited a week after it broke down before opening it up.

Wise move.
HV capacitors can store a lethal charge for many, many months. There is no safe period..... :eek:

Working on a microwave oven is no different than working on a HT circuit in a TV, and they have been around for years! The only difference is of being zapped by microwaves, that are unseen.

A TV will zap you 30kV, the same as a magnatron. Even when switched off.

But when working on an unplugged microwave oven, microwave energy aren't generated. As HT isn't generated in a turned off TV. But both have lethal voltages when turned off..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back