Miele T4809C tumble dryer not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Miele T4809c that's not heating up at all. We've cleaned out all the filters and the condenser unit but no luck.

We've also disconnected it from the mains for 10 minutes to "reset" the breakers, but again no joy.

It's a second hand machine, bought with the fault known, so we were expecting to have to get it repaired but just wanted to make sure we have covered all the obvious things first.

Any thoughts or recommendations for things to check/replace, or likely problems and associated costs, before we call out the Miele man would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Disconnecting it for 10mins won't reset anything. There is a square plate at the back held by 4 screws. Underneath is the heating element, a thermostat, & an NTC sensor. Check the thermostat isn't open circuit. If the thermostat is ok check the heating element with a multimeter.

Disconnecting it for 10mins won't reset anything. There is a square plate at the back held by 4 screws. Underneath is the heating element, a thermostat, & an NTC sensor. Check the thermostat isn't open circuit. If the thermostat is ok check the heating element with a multimeter.

Hi,

First many thanks for the reply.

OK, I'm not an electrician, but I've taken the back plate off (obviously disconnected from the mains first) and can see what must be the thermostat and the NTC sensor. I assume the thermostat is the one on the right with just two white with blue stripe wires attached. I removed this (it has a small round body) and tried the only simple test at my disposal. I have a spare car buld and 1.5V AA battery! First, connecting the bulb to the battery I get a dull red glow on the bulb. Introducing the thermostat into the circuit I get nothing. Does this seem a valid test?

I'm inclined to replace the thermostat (where is best to source a Miele replacement?). I'm also wondering if it would be sensible to bypass the thermostat and turn the machine on just for a minute?

Thanks again, and any answers appreciated.

http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=5432490 :eek: :eek:
Take the thermostat off & holding it by the terminals "bang" the round flat side down on the floor until it re-sets (there is a bi-metal disk inside the body that is bowed the wrong way after it tripped). Shocking it to bow the opposite way will reset it if you're lucky. I would never advise you to short out the thermostat....but yes your thinking in that respect is correct. Remember; unless you use a timed function there will have to be damp clothes in the dryer before the heater will activate. However, there is a reason the thermostat tripped in the first place. Check the filter & heat exchanger are clear. It is also very important to remove the two filters in the door opening & wash them thoroughly with warm water & washing up liquid every now & then (the micro-pores often get clogged & cause the thermostat to trip).

Sponsored Links
Trying the short circuit on the thermostat the dryer starts to warm up so I assume we have the culprit. Obviously I would NOT recommend anyone else to do something so potentially dangerous.

I've ordered the part linked (web site doesn't list T4809c against it but I trust your knowledge!).

As far as initial cause, the fisrt thing we did to the dryer was clean out quite a lot of dampish fluff from the pathways around the condenser, so I assume that could have caused the problem?

Anyway, many thanks again, hopefully we've saved the call out charge :D

If you persevere the original thermostat will reset, its just a matter of "knocking it around a little" to get it to cooperate. Some thermostats have a hole at the back making reset with a paper clip easy. I thought £27 was pretty steep for a 50p thermostat...but that's Miele for you. The part I linked is the correct one for your machine. Remember to keep the two door filters clean otherwise...... "pop goes the weasel" :D

If you persevere the original thermostat will reset, its just a matter of "knocking it around a little" to get it to cooperate. Some thermostats have a hole at the back making reset with a paper clip easy. I thought £27 was pretty steep for a 50p thermostat...but that's Miele for you. The part I linked is the correct one for your machine. Remember to keep the two door filters clean otherwise...... "pop goes the weasel" :D

Aha, a serious talking to the thermostat seems to have brought it round to my way of thinking! Tumbling with warm air as we speak, and I'll get a refund on the replacement I ordered. Thanks again :D Hopefully it will now be OK if we keep the airways clear. You mentioned that the heat exchanger also can get clogged. Is this somewhere other than at the front, near the condenser?

Final question for you on a difernent issue that you may or may not have any experiencce with... The issue is a crack in the front panel (where all the buttons and the dial are). I can get a replacement from Miele but I'm not sure how to do the job. Is it simply a matter of prising off the old one, or is it more complex than that?

Just me confusing the issue a little...the heat exchanger is the condenser. (I always call them by their first name :D )
About the crack; To get the rectangular fascia plate off use a thin knife & starting at the upper right corner stick it in the recess, lever it slightly forward & at the same move the knife to the left. If should just flip out. Be aware there is a very small leaf spring behind the plate & these always drop out when you take it off. It isn't a big deal as the only function it has is to keep outward tension on the fascia. Nine times out of ten I don't even bother putting it back. If it is just cosmetic damage to the plate I wouldn't bother changing it, but that's up to you.

Just me confusing the issue a little...the heat exchanger is the condenser. (I always call them by their first name :D )
About the crack; To get the rectangular fascia plate off use a thin knife & starting at the upper right corner stick it in the recess, lever it slightly forward & at the same move the knife to the left. If should just flip out. Be aware there is a very small leaf spring behind the plate & these always drop out when you take it off. It isn't a big deal as the only function it has is to keep outward tension on the fascia. Nine times out of ten I don't even bother putting it back. If it is just cosmetic damage to the plate I wouldn't bother changing it, but that's up to you.

OK, that makes sense re the condenser.

I'll use those instructions to replace the facia - it's part of our kitchen refit, s may as well look decent!

Your help is much appreciated.

Hi zipper,

Hmph. Looks like the problem is somewhere else. After a couple of uses the machine stopped shortly into the cycle and started flashing "cooling down" and beeped continually.

Wasn't sure whether to trouble the forum again, but any further ideas or recommendations?

BTW are these machines normally reliable do you know (i.e. is it worth the cost of a Miele engineer visit or should I cut my losses?)

Thanks as always.

Can you confirm again which LED is flashing?
Is it "hygiene/cool air" (2nd from the top)...or "finish" (3rd from the top)?

Can you confirm again which LED is flashing?
Is it "hygiene/cool air" (2nd from the top)...or "finish" (3rd from the top)?

It flashes the "Cooling down" backlit text to the right of the time remaining, and to the left of the Start/Stop button, and, as I say, beeps constantly.

To be clear (I hope) this is *not* one of the lights next to the various option buttons.

Ok...so you have the version with LCD display (T4809"CI")...then you should be seeing an error code at this point?
Try this: Turn off & close the door. Press and hold in the Start/Stop button. Switch on. As soon as the Start/Stop button flashes release it. Then immediately press it 3 times...at the 3rd press hold it in for 4-5 seconds until the Start/Stop button surround flashes at 1 Hz.
Note...all the above has to be completed within 10 seconds.
If you get this far press the start button once more & let me know what happens. At some point you should get an error code (could be anything from F1 to F66).

Ok...so you have the version with LCD display (T4809"CI")...then you should be seeing an error code at this point?
Try this: Turn off & close the door. Press and hold in the Start/Stop button. Switch on. As soon as the Start/Stop button flashes release it. Then immediately press it 3 times...at the 3rd press hold it in for 4-5 seconds until the Start/Stop button surround flashes at 1 Hz.
Note...all the above has to be completed within 10 seconds.
If you get this far press the start button once more & let me know what happens. At some point you should get an error code (could be anything from F1 to F66).

OK, following this sequence without "re-trying" drying sny clothes I end up with the following sequence cycling around in the right most digit of the LED display (where the time normally counts down) "-", then "1", "3", "1" and finally "6" before repeating.

Then tried some more drying of wet clothes, and when the error/beeping occured tried the sequence, but this resulted in the machine re-starting.

The thermostat appears to have tripped again somewhere along the way as we're getting no hot air.

Make any sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back