Miele W1714 Drain Fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last 2 washes with our Miele W1714 have ended abruptly with an alarm and 'drain fault' showing on the readout??

I have opened and drained the water manually from the front section at the bottom both times (which it smelt slightly) and cleaned the little filter/stopper that comes away?

Anyone any ideas? Do i need to pull the machine 'out'? or is there anything else from the front access to clean a 'drain fault'?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take a good look inside the filter housing & make sure nothing is jamming the pump impeller. You ought to be able to turn it easily by hand (there should be a noticeable magnetic resistance).

Thanks

So the pump impeller is the turn thing inside the front corner housing after opening, draining the water and removing the 'stopper'?

If so all I can do is put my hand in and turn it, as i dont think anything else removes from this?

It seems to turn fine with the slight resistance??

Although i did do this before (cleaned and drained out and it turned ok) but then next wash was drain fault again?

Would I have to pull the machine 'out' and check the pipes? or can it still be fixed from the front corner opening?

Thank you

With the filter out & the tap closed set the machine to empty & observe if the pump runs evenly. If it does you'll have to pull the machine out & check the drain hose isn't kinked/blocked or there is any kind of plumbing issue. If everything looks ok you may have a something stuck in the sump hose (but the front of the machine has to be removed to get at this). How old is the washer?

Sponsored Links
The washer is about 4 years old and was one of their top models with a 5 year guarantee?

I dont suppose their is online instructions to do this as i believe drain fault is quite common?

Just so i know what im looking for and doing?

Other than your user manual I doubt if you will find anything else online (all terribly hush-hush secret stuff). If you have an extended guarantee I would suggest you call Miele. Otherwise we'll have to talk you through it step by step.

I have just pulled the machine out and see that the corrugated pipe (waste?) has a big kink in it!

This must have happened when we had the machine moved due to works, and it was placed in a new area.

The plumber though hasn't given much slack on the waste pipe!

I have tried to press out the kink but its quite a stiff waste pipe.

Any ideas on getting this out? or whether its easier to replace the pipe with a new one? is it as simple as taking the old one off and refitting a newer one?
Thanks

Well stuff happens sometimes....
If the hose is badly kinked you could try warming it (very gently & carefully) with a hairdryer & reshape it a little. Avoid changing the hose unless it is damaged or holed...because the front of the machine has to be removed to do that as well. Not that it is a huge undertaking but if you can work around the issue it'll save you time & money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back