Mig welder buying-advice wanted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to purchase a MIG welder to weld a few projects and was wondering what to look for and what to avoid. I'm going to be mainly welding 3mm box section and up to 5mm angle iron from home.

I've never used a MIG welder only an arc welder years ago so not sure what to look for. Is it best to buy a known brand or are other machines good also?

Will I need a separate cable coming from my consumer unit?
Is it best to use the same sized nozzle as the wire ie: 0.6 with 0.6 or better to use 0.1 bigger nozzle to prevent jamming as much?

Here's a few I had a quick look at.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Kin...893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565523dfe5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c328865b4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-MI...345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c329f4e41

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-MI...067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19db58a0eb

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Just had a look at them but they are way out of my price league for the use it will be getting, probably worth it if it was for a business

For your candidates and an equal number of Lincoln welders you could compute some cost/(mains power drawn) ratios and plot them on a graph.
Lower ones are better, other things being equal, and the graph will show outliers and best buys.
You can bet the makers have graphs just like these if they want to compete and stay in business.

Sponsored Links
What's the better make between Sealey and Clarke?

I notice sealey have 2 or 3 names like seigen, are they the same quality product?

Just a couple of wee tips.....get a machine with a euro torch, and look at the wire feed from the inside - some of them are too plasticy to be true.
Get some spare tips and gas shields, and if you can choose a machine with many current variables so much the better.
Mig wire rusts if left inside the machine for long periods.....I wrap my spools in cling film to keep the rust away.
0.6 wire is just fine, and its easy to rent argon / CO2 cylinders from motor factors, but for limited use the disposable cylinders are fine.
Choose a quality auto darken helmet, with a lens that adjusts to around 8 so you can see whats what when welding indoors.
After that its lots of loverly practice and the results can be amazing.
(Or crap on the other hand :p )
John :)

Thanks for the advice John I will take it all on board when I have a look at a few soon. I'm going to rent a bottle like you say as the small ones don't last five minutes and are pricey.

I bought a cheap MIG welder off screwfix years ago. The wire feed was dreadful, and it took those mini bottles of gas that didn't last 5 mins (literally sometimes!)

I gave it to a mate of mine who gave me it back! I ended up chucking it in the bin, and just carried on with my old faithful arc welder.

The advice about an auto darkening mask is spot on. I couldn't beleive the difference it made for me. Best thing I've ever bought (for welding anyway)

I got a speedglas helmet, and it's been spot on for years.

What price & performance difference would you accept to have or not have a separate cable?

The portamigs are to expensive for what I can afford cheapest I've seen was over £500.

If I need to put a cable in I don't think it will be to much of a problem I'm sure I have space on my board. I was looking for max of £250 so after reading more it's either a second hand god make or average to good brand new

The portamigs are to expensive for what I can afford cheapest I've seen was over £500.

If I need to put a cable in I don't think it will be to much of a problem I'm sure I have space on my board. I was looking for max of £250 so after reading more it's either a second hand god make or average to good brand new
If welders are resistant to abuse then second hand might be a good option.

One of my decision theory books has methods for tie-breaking so if you come down to a very few choices please let me know :)

Good luck.

You can get surprisingly good results with the likes of Clarke stuff and obviously they will provide all of the extras you'll need.
My own Mig (Clarke air cooled) has a 3 switch current regulator.....if I was buying again I'd go for an infinitely variable current machine. Mind you, I use it so infrequently these days I always need a bit of bench practice first.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back