MIG Welder- is a Seperate Supply Circuit Needed?

Sponsored Links
But I would think that very likely a 16A plug would work OK with a D16 MCB protecting it.
It's a portable appliance - is there an EFLI limit for non-1363 sockets?
Since it has to be RCD protected the max EFLI is 200 ohms the Live - Neutral loop impedance will be far more important. For the magnetic part of the MCB to work one would need a L-N loop impedance of 0.7 ohms.
However I am not sure if we need to be able to use the magnet part of the trip? A fault causing over heating will trip the thermal part of the trip which will include a short circuit. What we now need to consider is the let through current and would this blow the main incoming fuse. For a D32 MCB I think this may be a worry but I would not thing there is much chance with a D16 MCB. My BS7671:2008 is not handy so I can't look at the charts to check and if I have got it wrong sorry.

So yes the let through current will need checking. But EFLI is really only a worry with sockets over 20A in Domestic as below that a RCD must be fitted.

I am really not a fan of, and would always argue strongly against, what I consider the lazy bodge of using an RCD to get around the problem of excessive EFLI values on TN systems...

Sponsored Links
So you'd pay the DNO to dig up the road so you can install your D16 MCB on a TN-S system where the Ze is perfectly acceptable at 0.6 ohms but your maximum measured efli is a mere 0.575 ohms?
In some circumstances I don't like the idea of using RCDs for excessive Zs but in some circumstances I don't see a viable alternative.
As long as the Zs figures are reasonable i.e. not massively over what I'd expect I'd let it run.

I am really not a fan of, and would always argue strongly against, what I consider the lazy bodge of using an RCD to get around the problem of excessive EFLI values on TN systems...
I would agree but it does comply. I don't like to see twin and earth to me the flat cable is made flat to go in walls and trunking but it does not break regulations by clipping up a wall if out of harms way.
I would consider most DIY people don't know or care what EFLI is and will never measure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back