Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've bought these two items for my kitchen kickboards:

GLKIT2B.JPG

CM2752.JPG

----

I understand switches in the simple sense, that is normally the live runs through the switch, but how do you fit a switch to the LED's transformer ?? Not Possible ??

The only other way I can think of, is to wire up the switch to a 1-gang socket and then plug the adaptor into that... It will work, but it seems inappropriate?

Cheers for any help & Merry Xmas

Sponsored Links
Your option to plug into a switched 13 amp socket is the best one.

Swtching the 12 volt output of the transformer would control the lights work BUT the ""transformer"" in the plug-top may not be designed to run continuously with its mains supply ON but its output disconnected.

It is also worth having the plug-top "transformer" in free air for cooling reasons.

Many thanks bernard for the reply and merry christmas :)

Will just use a socket on a switch then
Easy !!!

Do you mean a switched socket? Is there one in a sensible place?

Or are you planning to put a socket on the lighting circuit?

The only other way I can think of, is to wire up the switch to a 1-gang socket
That worries me a tad...

Sponsored Links
Many thanks bernard for the reply and merry christmas :)

Will just use a socket on a switch then
Easy !!!
Hang on a minuite where are you feeding this from? and what precautions do you plan to take to ensure that parts are adequately protected against faults and overloading?

I was planning on doing this, as I cannot see another way... Needs a switch because socket (existing) is hard to get at (under worktops)

Not Wise ? :?: [/img]

It's not good is it :confused:

Or can I do that above without the mini-switch (just plug, cable and extra socket) because I can use the switch on the extra socket for convenience?

Thank you for any advice

Instead of the plug, socket and switch, install a fused spur, and feed the hidden socket from this.

Instead of the plug, socket and switch, install a fused spur, and feed the hidden socket from this.

Couldn't agree more. Can't stand seeing kitchen lighting (especially under pelmets) fed from a plug and flex, it looks a complete DIY botch.

Out of interest, what would be the correct way to wire this if you wanted them switched by a light switch, along with the rest of the lights in the kitchen, for example?

Others I've seen have the transformer on a lead, rather than a plug-top one. But if you do have a plug-top one, what's the best thing to do? Can you run say a 3A fused spur with a socket off a lighting circuit? Sounds a bit dodgy...

Out of interest, what would be the correct way to wire this if you wanted them switched by a light switch, along with the rest of the lights in the kitchen, for example?

Others I've seen have the transformer on a lead, rather than a plug-top one. But if you do have a plug-top one, what's the best thing to do? Can you run say a 3A fused spur with a socket off a lighting circuit? Sounds a bit dodgy...

You should never put a socket on a lighting circuit :idea: - If it's there there's nothing to stop someone plugging something overrated into it..... ;)

When the appliance is used the ocpd trips and the lights go out.
It is poor design imo.

So...
what would be the correct way to wire this if you wanted them switched by a light switch, along with the rest of the lights in the kitchen, for example?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back