Mini LED's + Switch (unsure)

Sponsored Links
Its not against regs obviously because the 5/6/10amp breaker will trip at the cu.
Very poor design though and not something I'd ever do.

which part is the poor design?
- the socket on the lights, or
- putting the transformer in the plug top?

Its not against regs obviously because the 5/6/10amp breaker will trip at the cu.

They would, but the breakers are there as protection - i.e. a defence that should not be challenged, and that you should not be able to challenge.

It's likely that there will be no RCD protection, and as we all know, that's now a biggie. I know that the MCB will blow, but that's enough of an argument. You can still get a lethal shock off of it first. If there is a socket there - even if it's labeled only for the use of a specific appliance, some numpty will ignore it and plug in an extension to run the lawnmower. I've seen people running hot tubs off of an extension lead and no RCD ! !

Sponsored Links
It isn't against the regs to install a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit, I believe they actually state this is one acceptable method.
I personally wouldn't code down a system for sockets on lighting circuits for specific items such as aerial amps, however if installing I don't like to do it.

Personally I think both!
I've never had to install any elv lighting with the tranny in the plug and would advise the customer to get a different set.

It isn't against the regs to install a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit, I believe they actually state this is one acceptable method.

Where exactly do they state that ? As I stated above it's likely that there will be no RCD protection. I know that the MCB should blow, but someone could still get a lethal shock off of it first. There is no justification for fitting a socket on a lighting circuit - and no reason whatsoever to condone something which is potentially very dangerous.

Where exactly do they state that ? As I stated above it's likely that there will be no RCD protection. I know that the MCB should blow, but someone could still get a lethal shock off of it first. There is no justification for fitting a socket on a lighting circuit - and no reason whatsoever to condone something which is potentially very dangerous.

Whilst I agree with what your saying, I dont deem it as dangerous.
As I said above the ocpd will trip, people can get shocks off anything, not just sockets off lighting!

Where exactly do they state that ?

559.6.1.1 (v)

As I stated above it's likely that there will be no RCD protection.
Sockets for a specific purpose may have RCD protection omitted, however if there are unprotected concealed cables buried less than 50mm in a wall or partition then the circuit can be marked down for requiring RCD protection anyway, likely code 4 depending on circumstances.

They would, but the breakers are there as protection - i.e. a defence that should not be challenged, and that you should not be able to challenge.

It's likely that there will be no RCD protection, and as we all know, that's now a biggie. I know that the MCB will blow, but that's enough of an argument. You can still get a lethal shock off of it first. If there is a socket there - even if it's labeled only for the use of a specific appliance, some numpty will ignore it and plug in an extension to run the lawnmower. I've seen people running hot tubs off of an extension lead and no RCD ! !

thats your opinion on how it should be done, no problem if you feel that way. However, you said it contravened regulation and was illegal. Can you suppoort this with a reg or something?

Personally I think both!
I've never had to install any elv lighting with the tranny in the plug and would advise the customer to get a different set.
and if after advising the customer to get some others, they still want these installing, how would you do it?

Personally I think both!
and if after advising the customer to get some others, they still want these installing, how would you do it?

Install fcu, switch and socket off kitchen ring ;)

Seriously how many have you seen with a wallwart plug?
I've never seen any!
So when the transformer fails I assume you have to sling the whole lot away.

Out of interest, what would be the correct way to wire this if you wanted them switched by a light switch, along with the rest of the lights in the kitchen, for example?

Others I've seen have the transformer on a lead, rather than a plug-top one. But if you do have a plug-top one, what's the best thing to do? Can you run say a 3A fused spur with a socket off a lighting circuit? Sounds a bit dodgy...

You could try and find these little leds light on one of those electronic transformers (that don't use a plug), then they could go straight onto a lighting circuit no problem. I've not seen em like this though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back