mini oven, where can i plug it in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Perhaps something like this has been posted before I don't know.

I've just brought a second hand mini oven grill. The plug says its 13A and it says on the appliance that its 240V 700 Watts.

Is this safe to plug in a normal socket, or does it have to be a 'cooker' socket?

What would happen if one plugs something in a normal socket that needs to be in a cooker socket (not that I would do this ... this is just out of idle interest).

any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Allie

Sponsored Links
since its only 700W, it can be safely plugged into a normal socket. it does not need its own circuit

AllieC said:
I've just brought a second hand mini oven grill. The plug says its 13A and it says on the appliance that its 240V 700 Watts.

Is this safe to plug in a normal socket, or does it have to be a 'cooker' socket?

What would happen if one plugs something in a normal socket that needs to be in a cooker socket (not that I would do this ... this is just out of idle interest).
There is no such thing as a "cooker socket" - a 13A socket can supply 13 Amps to anything you like - kettle, hairdryer, hoover, television, full-scale working model of Abi Titmuss... as long as it doesn't draw more than 13 Amps there's no problem. If you're thinking of the socket that you get on a Cooker Switch like this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._Index/Cooker_and_45Amp_Switches_3/index.html then that's just a convenient place to put a 13A socket - it's no different in what it can run from any other 13A socket (the cooker itself isn't plugged in because it needs more than 13 Amp (usually), so it's "hard-wired").

Since Amps = Watts / Volts, your 700W cooker running on 240V draws 700/240 = less than 3 Amps, so it can easily be run by a 13A socket.

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
5A in terms of assumed demand - the socket itself is still capable of delivering 13A, and the circuit itself must still be properly designed.

/begin devil care mode.>
If you can afford enough unfused adapters, the socket can supply 40 A if the MCB or hot wire fuse is rated for that. However, it will soon get too hot to touch, and start to smell funny, and the pins may weld in for good
/end devil may care mode.
Seriously
If the cooker is off, its just like any other 13A socket, and quite safe for anything up to a 3KW kettle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back