minimum height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the minimum height from floor to window for a velux window in a loft conversion that is going to be used for a fire exit and also is there a maximum, cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is a minimum height but I always known the maximum was 1.7m from the top of the fascia,( this is so the fireman can reach you from the ladder) BCO will tell you over the phone just to make sure 1.7m is still correct.

The velux fire escape window must also be top hung and have double roof rafters & trimmers to window.

There is a minimum to stop people falling out it is 600mm from finished floor to the lowest opening part also a maximum of 1100mm and as masona says 1700mm from the fascia to the cill.
I have fitted them lower than that before but have had to provide removable guarding.

nice one chappers just what i needed to know :D :D also theres a big dorma window is it possible to use the window and walk back up on to the dorma roof or put a velux on the opposite side to the dorma and then walk up on to the roof or does the roof need more fire protection.The roof is more than 1.7, the building inspectors due soon ill ask him when he gets here but in the mean time any ideas.

Sponsored Links
sorry can't quite picture what you mean I assume the dormer will be to the rear and your velux will be to the front or are they both going to be on the same elevation.
If you are saying can you climb out the dormer or velux and then walk back up tthe roof and onto the dormer roof then almost certainly the answer is no.
You can use the dormer as an escape only in certain circumstances usually when the dormer window is above a flat roof by certain heights and then it is only a certain height from the ground .

Have a look here from about page 26 onwards http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_027756.pdf
If you need any more help with the practicalities of these regs I will try to help.
Cheers
gareth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back