Minimum space required for UFH (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Everyone,

This is officially my first post here, and even tho i made a bit of research on the webiste before to post this, i was not able to find the answer to my question (if someone already replied to something similar, i do apologise in advance!)

I'm about to purchase a semi-detached house that has realitevely low Ceiling (in the region in-between 2.26 -2.35 meters.)
I was considering to install UFH on the ground floor to improve the heat efficency and also to optimise the space (i could place some storage units instead of the radiators.)
However, after searching online, i read that for both water or eletric UFH, you are likely to loose something like 2-2.5cm of space due to screed, underlaying, etc.

Are you aware of any UFH that requires minimal space for its installation and that is quite reliable?

Obviously the alternative would be to simply install the standard radiators and put my head at peace with the UFH idea.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
You would be mad to consider fitting electric underfloor heating as your only heating in an older property

However, after searching online, i read that for both water or eletric UFH, you are likely to loose something like 2-2.5cm of space due to screed, underlaying, etc.
Depends on what the sub floor type is just now. If you are going for traditional screed wet UFH on a concrete slab then you'll lose a lot more than 25mm and then whatever flooring is to be laid on top, unless the slab is dug out.
If it's floating timber then it can use spreader plates and you may lose around that height but again what's on top. Same with a low profile overlay.

All depends on what's there just now

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for the prompt replies.

I've tried to jump with al my weight in different areas of the ground floor and it felt really sturdy, no squeaks whatsoever....that basically tells me 99% is concrete.

You didn't look under the carpet, then?
No because the property is still furnished and officially is not mine yet. However by having a look around (including jumping hard) and asking the agency guy, i'm 99% confident the ground floor is concrete and the first floor is made out of joists and floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back