Mira Event shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having moved into a 20 year old house just before Christmas it's now time to start sorting our bedroom and en suite shower room.

The shower we have is a Mira Event electric. The problem with it is the shower pressure. It's not terrible but no where near as good as I'd like.
I think the shower is just worn out and probably not working correctly.
The shower still operates with the main electric switch (swith next to the shower) on or off. Do you think this means the pumping part of the shower has had it?
The shower has a hot and cold water feed going to it. Is it any easy enough job to replace with a new shower? Would it need to be a Mira shower to make the job easier? Is it best to get a new shower with a built in pump?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Marty74 said:
The problem with it is the shower pressure. It's not terrible but no where near as good as I'd like.
I think the shower is just worn out and probably not working correctly.
I would tend to agree. For a Mira Event, five years is a pretty good lifespan.

The shower still operates with the main electric switch (swith next to the shower) on or off. Do you think this means the pumping part of the shower has had it?
Yes. When you open up the shower to replace you'll see something rather weedier than you might expect. ;)

Is it any easy enough job to replace with a new shower?
Quite easy, yes.

Would it need to be a Mira shower to make the job easier?
Events are still available, and represent your easiest way forward.

Is it best to get a new shower with a built in pump?
Yes, because the flow might not be enough for an ordinary mixer.

Top tip: The hardest part of replacing a Mira Event is getting the old John Guest connectors past the scale on the supply pipes. If you're going to scrap the old shower then I'd take the old unit apart and uncouple the connections only after all the surrounding knuckle-grazing and finger-slicing edges have been removed.

Read and follow the MIs carefully, and you'll be OK.

Isolate electrically before starting work.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Do you think I'd be better off replacing with a different unit? Five years doesn't seem that long to me or is that about the norm?

thanks

I didn't mean to come across as quite so negative about the Mira Event.

You can get replacement parts, so if the motor (for example) gives up then you can replace just one component.

The reason I'm promoting a complete change now is that you don't know how many faults the existing unit has; a new one will provide a manufacturer's warranty and a known baseline so that you diagnose any future problem more easily.

Sponsored Links
I didn't think you were!, no worries.

I've been having a search online and it looks like I can pick up a new power shower for about £175 which seems pretty good to me. I'd much rather start with a brand new system for the reasons you mentioned.

Just one more question though!

I thought all electric box type showers were the same! Am I right in thinking the normal electric showers use a cold water feed only and pumped power showers use hot and cold?

thanks

Marty74 said:
I thought all electric box type showers were the same!
No sirree.

Am I right in thinking the normal electric showers use a cold water feed only and pumped power showers use hot and cold?
That much is true, but be aware also that the former type (electric shower) requires a high-current capacity cable directly from your consumer unit, and that the provision of such a circuit is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the Building Regulations.

Notifying isn't just a formality - the circuit needs to be designed and sized competently in order to prevent your house being burned down.

The shower currently has hot and cold water feed. It also has it's own (switched) mains feed coming into it but it doesn't have it's own trip on the main board.
Do you think thats because it doesn't need one (as it's hot and cold feed) or it's because it's been fitted incorrectly after the house has been built?

it doesn't need to be wired straight back to the consumer box like an electric shower. it only needs a 3 amp fuse on a min 1mm cable.
the power useage of these showers is only about 150 watts

not knowing what cable someone has used on your shower now.
yes basically it's gravity with a pump inside. it dosn't heat the water like a 7 kw shower. so not needing the large cable and fuse rating.
providing it's a min of 1mm you can use 1.5 up to 2.5 for this shower on a 3amp spur.

Thank you very much for your help. It's all clearer now.

When you say 1.5 up to 2.5 does that mean bar?

I can pick up a new power shower for about £175
Was that for another Mira Event?
I'm looking at repair vs replacement of a 1993 model, mixer assy is £98, new shower looks to be a lot more..

That was just a ball park figure Chris. I haven't had a close look yet.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back