mira sports shower cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if anyone can help, i have a mira sport electric shower, when using the shower after about ten mintues the shower will cut out and i have to go downstairs and flip the rcd back on, is this just as simple as putting a new rcd, the one currently in place is 16amp

thanks

Sponsored Links
A 16A breaker is far too small for almost any electric shower.

TBH i'm surprised it even lasts 10minutes.

Before you do anything you'll need to find out if the cable thats currently fitted is actually big enough to run the shower. The fact the breaker is rated at 16A suggests its possibly not.

Who fitted the shower and how long has it been like that?

Aragorn84";p="2247738 said:
A 16A breaker is far too small for almost any electric shower.

TBH i'm surprised it even lasts 10minutes.

Before you do anything you'll need to find out if the cable thats currently fitted is actually big enough to run the shower. The fact the breaker is rated at 16A suggests its possibly not.

Who fitted the shower and how long has it been like that?[/quote

unfortunatly i dont know how the shower has been fitted i guess roughly three years and it has done it since day one, this is a rented property, i was advised after taking a picture of the consumer unit to a electrical factor that i needed a 32amp breaker, which i hav bought today but not fitted yet, is there a reason y it works for so long then cuts out? the water temp stays the same, plus i dont know how big the cable is

thanks

As this is a rented property, it is your landlord's responsibility to sort out.

You CANNOT just go changing to a 32A or any other type. The cable may not be suitable.

Sponsored Links
You cannot swap a breaker over for a larger one without knowing that the cable can handle the current in it's installation conditions. Also there is earth fault loop impedance to consider (a smaller cable having greater impedance)
If you ignore these facts you risk possible fire or electrocution.

Well the point is the breaker is there to protect the cable from overload.

If you go wedging in a 32A breaker, and the cable is only rated to say 20A you then have a risk of fire/melted cable etc.

So before changing anything you need to find out the size of the cable thats currently installed. If its of sufficient size (6mm^2 as a minimum i'd suggest), then potentially you can simply swap the breaker for a 32A unit and all will be well. If its not sufficient, it will need changed.

If you can see the cable you may find the size embossed into the outer sheath.

Given its a rented property, and the existing installation is potentially unsafe, i'd be getting onto the landlord immediately.

Well the point is the breaker is there to protect the cable from overload.

If you go wedging in a 32A breaker, and the cable is only rated to say 20A you then have a risk of fire/melted cable etc.

So before changing anything you need to find out the size of the cable thats currently installed. If its of sufficient size (6mm^2 as a minimum i'd suggest), then potentially you can simply swap the breaker for a 32A unit and all will be well. If its not sufficient, it will need changed.

If you can see the cable you may find the size embossed into the outer sheath.

Given its a rented property, and the existing installation is potentially unsafe, i'd be getting onto the landlord immediately.
thank you i will contact the landlord and also have a look to see wot type of cable it is, is this the definate reason for it tripping though, because the breaker is too small?

thanks

as simple as putting a new rcd, the one currently in place is 16amp

thanks

That is not an RCD, you should not be messing around with this.

As stated above, its the landlord's reponsibility, that's why you pay the rent.

Landlord needs to get a qualified electrician to sort this out. Do not do anything or chage anything otherwise you will be breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement

and

you will be liable for any damage caused.

Is that clear enough?

:?:

PS People who work behind electrical shop counters are not qualified to consult on electrical matters.

is this just as simple as putting a new rcd,
Assuming you mean MCB - just shows you don't know what you're doing.

The MCB is a safety device so when it operates and probably stops your wires melting WHY ON EARTH would your first response be to change it?

IT MAY HAVE SAVED YOUR LIFE.

When the oil light in your car comes on just get a new bulb - it must be faulty.

banghead.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back