missing earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have extended the ring in my living room, adding an extra 3 sockets. On completion I used a socket fault detector which gave the all clear. I then disconnected the 3 sockets in order to carry out decorating and repairs and to finish fitting a new floor. I connected the wires using chocbloc to maintain the circuit. All connected sockets worked fine with power tools etc. I have now come to re-connect the additional sockets and I tested the first with the socket tester - fail, 'missing earth'. I have since checked all the earth connections in the room and all are ok but I get the 'mising earth' fault on the tester plug. I then started to check each socket in other rooms and in each case got the 'earth missing' fault. I also get this in the upstairs sockets which is a separate circuit.
The tester is new, only used once before. Are these testers reliable? It is a TIS1000.
I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the original pre-existing sockets with the tester, do they show a fault too?

Have you tested it on another socket circuit?

The earth loop tester have a range 1.7 Ω to 500 Ω but the tester your using simply does not say what point it shows as earth loop impedance too high, the
51520.jpg
version with loop test uses 1.8 Ω and 92 Ω rather than the 1.7, 5, 10, 100, 200, 500 Ω tested with the Martindale EZ165 which means with a TT system (uses earth rod) it really tells you nothing. And the one you have
14779.jpg
tells you next to nothing. I think it is quite funny that a tester to check earth says it is class II and does not need an earth. Even this
ez165-front1_dhel1kjeys1fzbyu.jpg
Seems a bit useless when with a British ring final with a B32 MCB when 1.37 Ω is the pass mark, so it shows the pass mark for a 25.7 amp type B MCB I would assumed designed for Europe where they don't use a ring final. So would show a 25 amp type B radial as OK. The Martindale EX2500 at £130.20 is the cheapest I have found.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, someone else has told me the tester isn't much use. I've a friend coming round later to check it for me. Your help and advice is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back