Missing moss...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This spring I carefully planted up some lovely hanging baskets and put them outside. There's a wooden 'porch' over our door and they hang from that, so you can see them from the windows too.

I watered them faithfully, but the lobelia were still struggling. A few days later, the compost was gradually coming out, and the moss that I'd lined the basket with became thinner and thinner. I replaced it, yet it still disappeared.

Just when I was going mad.. I was in the living room and saw at the window a small finch. STEALING THE MOSS!! Cheeky little thing was sitting in the grass til I'd moved away, then flying up and taking the moss for its nest, and for weeks it had managed to evade sight. It even looked at me through the window as if to say 'uh-oh' and flew off again. I laughed so hard, and then put a pile of moss on the doorstep for it to take, which it did.

I'll remember that next spring when the baskets go out again! :LOL:

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you manage to stop the birds stealing it?

Sponsored Links
Birds have always taken moss fromhanging baskets for their nests.
The nest may be wade with twigs but moss is used for the centre to help protect and insulate the eggs.
This is one reason I always use those polythene basket liners with a moss like covering which the birds can't get at.

We use birds feathers for pillows and quilts so why shouldn't the birds take their insulating material from us? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back