Missing radiators in newish house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just agreed to buy a house I really like. It was only built in 2010 and is a 3 bed chalet semi.

The house has gas central heating with boiler in the kitchen. But both the lounge at the back and the master bedroom above lack a radiator and there is no other forms of heating in these rooms.

Obviously I may have to ask the vendor directly about this in time, but is there any rational explanation for this?

What I am getting to is that if there is no pipework, what sort of sum are we talking about to fix?

Each room is about 4m by 3m, would I have to check out the boiler capacity too?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there isn't some hidden heating like underfloor or skirting board?

Some people don't fit rads to rooms because they are tight or they just don't like heating. A plumber should be able to extend the CH circuit to include those rooms; you might even find that the pipework is already there.

No there is no UFH or skirting board heating or it would have been in the particulars I'm sure.

I have been told the house has an NHBC warranty. Would they still issue one if two rooms were unheated?

If its a concrete floor, the easier option might be to T-in extensions from the radiators above/below and then box in the pipework. Its unlikely that your boiler will be too small to cope, but then we don't know any details. Alternatively come through from the adjoining room perhaps using a tower radiator to keep the surface mount pipe to a minimum.

Its also possible that they were removed for DIY under floor heating which hasn't been signed-off and is therefore unlisted. One option for the bedroom (If its the master) is to fit air-con to the external wall. It can then heat and cool the room fairly efficiently.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back