Missing Toilet Vent Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow and have noticed an 'off' smell in the cloakroom.
It has a toilet and a wash basin.

The smell seems to be worse when it rains or is generally damp outside.

I have put it down to being a problem with damp somehow, but haven't lifted the laminate flooring yet.

On my trawling through the internet I stumbled across vent pipes.

My toilet doesn't appear to have one... does it need one? Everything I've read seems to indicate that it should have one.

It seems to be flushing fine, no gurgling, but I wondered if the lack of vent pipe could have something to do with the smell.

Is there anything I can do to check/test to see if it this causing the smell?

Sponsored Links
Your toilet should be connected to a stack, there are number of methods used to vent a stack, so would depend on the type of stack you have.
You should not be getting foul smells coming in to this room via the waste system.
So are smells coming from outside or via your waste?
Can you upload a picture of the stack?

A stack would not be entirely necessary on a bungalow, a ground floor WC may be connected directly to the drain. As long as the regs (in force at the time of building) were followed then drains should be ok. A vent should have been provided somewhere on the drain run, but not necessarily on every property.

I'd be checking the floor first, problems often arise with floors around a WC where people have 'missed' over time. Floor, especially a wooden floor' soaks up the spillage then begins to smell..... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back