Mitre Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate your help, please. I have been cutting scotia on a borrowed saw and become quite confused! So my question is without moving the saw from the 45 degree left position should the cut be the same at point 1 & 2?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 35
  • mid.jpg
    mid.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
This cut always confuses me (or rather I occasionally make wrong cuts and then kick myself).

Hence I always try and put a drawn 45deg line on the wood, and a tick on the good (keep) side and a cross on the waste (not to be used) side of the line. Sometimes I do this on both sides of the wood so it can be flipped in the saw.

I then cut on the line, slightly to the side of the cross mark to take account of blade width and have a bit spare that I can remove if cut wood is still a bit too long.

Sfk

Sponsored Links
Would like to help but can’t decipher the question.?
Ok so not moving the saw from a 45-degree position on the left-hand side of the saw should cut 1 and 2 be the same? Cut 1 being the left of the centre and cut 2 being the right of the centre.

Should be ok, you are effectively cutting both sides at once if the saw stays there. But prepare for problems if you want to join them at a right angle

If you are creating a straight line join in the scotia, then leave the saw in the same position.

I think you need to clarify your question.

No. One will be 45° the other 135°.

But I need to come back after a few shots as I'll be less confused then.
Thank you the cut at 1 is indeed 45 and cut 2 isn't. I did say I was confused it appears I have also confused this community!

not sure exactly what is being asked
but keep in mind if like my dewalt saw 50%lhs and 60% rhs so visually and in action can cause mistake if your used to 45-45% and not exactly reading the angle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back