mitred edges on tiles?....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might sound stupid but the range of tiles we're putting in our bathroom doesn't have round edged types for external corners, and I can't find any edging strip to match. Can I cut the tiles with a 45 degree edge with an electric tile cutter so that they meet neatly?, or grind them?

Sponsored Links
It is possible to do that, but tiles showing an edge are acceptable & a lot easier.
Its the choice that you have to make.

It is very easy to cut tiles at a 45 degree mitre with an electric tile cutter, IMHO looks better than a butt joint.

Tiling leaving an edge showing just isn't the look I'm after at all, when you've hacked off all the crumbling plaster, battened every wall and shimmed at every screw, aqua panelled and spend so damn long acheiving perfect flat walls and 90 degree corners to get a perfect finish you'll understand!

Think I'll give the saw a whirl if you say it's not difficult Eddie, is it best to cut them finished side up then to stop the surface chipping, or doesn't it matter?

Cheers fella's :D

Sponsored Links
Tiles vary so try the cutting both ways and see what suits yours best. I prefer finish up as it saves the minor scratching you can get on the surface if the saw bed is dirty.

I find it easier if you do the measuring for balance and then start on the external corner. In the majority of cases this leaves a normal internal corner at the other end which is then easier to measure and cut. The angled cuts have to be bob on and can be a little tricky to measure otherwise. I have also used a vertical board, such as 150mm contiplas to get them perfectly straight. Doing it this way you can leave the saw fence undisturbed for the full corner.

I also use the 150mm contiplas for the horizontal battens to support the first few rows. It is dirt cheap and being man made it is perfectly straight. You can rip it down the centre for smaller tiles.

wouldn't either white or stainless steel finish tile beads do the job?

Beefcake daddy said:
Might sound stupid but the range of tiles we're putting in our bathroom doesn't have round edged types for external corners, and I can't find any edging strip to match. Can I cut the tiles with a 45 degree edge with an electric tile cutter so that they meet neatly?, or grind them?

The tiles can be mitred on external corners but to have a good finish the best way to do them iis to mitre the full tiles, then cut them to fit(unless starting with a full tile at corner). But, the walls need to be plum - if you've not done it before/don't have much experience in tiling, it may be better to get a plastic or metal tile trim to marry the corners.

david and julie said:
Tiles vary so try the cutting both ways and see what suits yours best. I prefer finish up as it saves the minor scratching you can get on the surface if the saw bed is dirty.

I find it easier if you do the measuring for balance and then start on the external corner. In the majority of cases this leaves a normal internal corner at the other end which is then easier to measure and cut. The angled cuts have to be bob on and can be a little tricky to measure otherwise. I have also used a vertical board, such as 150mm contiplas to get them perfectly straight. Doing it this way you can leave the saw fence undisturbed for the full corner.

I also use the 150mm contiplas for the horizontal battens to support the first few rows. It is dirt cheap and being man made it is perfectly straight. You can rip it down the centre for smaller tiles.

Maybe it's late and i'm tired - but i haven't got a clue what you mean. i think i get the 1st part about the wetsaw table being 'dirty' - just wipe it down with a sponge before each cut. the rest.. well , you lost me!

I got a bit lost with what you were saying too if I'm honest! I think I got the important bit though,

-screw batten on wall one tile up from bottom to get a good line to tile on.
-work up to window height where I need my mitred edges.
-mitre tile first then trim from opposite end to fit.
-Wipe my tile saw with a sponge to get rid of any harsh dust each time I cut.
-Cross fingers.
-Don't swear in front of kids.

Beefcake daddy said:
I got a bit lost with what you were saying too if I'm honest! I think I got the important bit though,

-screw batten on wall one tile up from bottom to get a good line to tile on.
-work up to window height where I need my mitred edges.
-mitre tile first then trim from opposite end to fit.
-Wipe my tile saw with a sponge to get rid of any harsh dust each time I cut.
-Cross fingers.
-Don't swear in front of kids.

The reason neither of you can follow me is because my reply is not based on tiling a window reveal, I thought you meant an external corner in a room. Reveals are a not the same thing.
Washboy.
Clearly it must be getting late as you say. Not only can you not understand me, you also can't understand beefcakedaddy either, he said these two quotes.
Might sound stupid but the range of tiles we're putting in our bathroom doesn't have round edged types for external corners, and I can't find any edging strip to match.
Tiling leaving an edge showing just isn't the look I'm after at all, when you've hacked off all the crumbling plaster, battened every wall and shimmed at every screw, aqua panelled and spend so damn long acheiving perfect flat walls and 90 degree corners to get a perfect finish you'll understand!
Your reply was.
But, the walls need to be plum - if you've not done it before/don't have much experience in tiling, it may be better to get a plastic or metal tile trim to marry the corners.
I will put this in plain English just for you. He cannot get or doesn't want tile trim and has spent ages getting everything plum.
If you don't understand me, ask for an explanation, don't display your total ignorance.

cheers d&j, didn't mean any bad feeling - just didn't quite get the measuring for balance bit, but in my laymans terms am I right in thinking that's the old 'planning out where I'm gonna stick them up so I don't end up with crappy little bits of tiles at the edges'...if it's something different that I've overlooked then explanation would be greatly appreciated! I just want to do the best job that I can, I always end up thinking for weeks how I'm going to do something then miss one simple step out that will niggle me for years!

Cheers for all your help :D

Yes that is what I meant.

Don't forget the bath. Avoid a full tile up to the cill edge,if it means a tiny strip on the bath. The equalising of the ends also applies to a degree on the height as well.

I know you have made a lot of effort and want a nice job. This is why I mentioned conti-plas instead of timber for battens, it is perfectly straight and far better. When I said ripping it down the centre, I meant if your tiles are smaller than 150mm. You can temporarily fix this with hardened nails rather than drilling if you like. Just leave them stuck out a bit to get your claw hammer on them afterwards.

When you say you can't get an edge trim don't forget it is more usual for this to match the grout rather than the tile. This why most are white as that is the most common grout used. The edge is afterall a joint the same as the grout lines.

I don't take offence, water of a ducks back mate. Putting what you mean into words is sometimes harder than doing it though. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back