mixer bath tap/shower

ma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

I have bought new bathroom taps and would like to know if you think i will get a decent shower force from the mixer bath tap

bathroom is downstairs
the cold is straight from mains water aprox 24 liters per min tap full on
the hot is from the upstairs tank comes out bath tap full on 20 litres per min, sorry i have no way of measuring the pressure any other way but my downstairs kitchen mixer tap set to a good temperature for a shower gave 16 litres pre minute

i do have an electric shower but its naff (will tell you about that another day :eek:) and we always have loads of hot water so would really appreciate your advice please

Sponsored Links
ok!
so, with the given information (which may be limited)
Do you think i will get a decent shower from the mixer bath tap/shower? :confused:

Sponsored Links
mmmmmmmmm
well thankyou for your patience!

why do you say no-
no not enough info or no you won't get good flow?

i was hoping that as we always have hot water it would be better to use it rather than having electric shower heat water too - better economy....

our old shower, set on cold had a tremendous flow, as my hot and cold water are almost matched in flow rate and it is a good flow rate - can you please explain why this would not give a good shower?

sorry to be a pain, just tell me to go away if i'm being ridiculous!!!! :oops:

Ok!

It would probably be ok but there is a possibility that the cold mains will hold back the gravity hot making it tricky to get a good shower temp.

Ideally you want to fit a pump or gravity supply the cold.

Having said that what have you got to lose by just fitting the tap and seeing what happens? I was wondering this before hence my previous post :) :rolleyes: ;)

I bought the taps before thinking it through, i'll fit them anyway but,
if it works really well i might regret not just fitting a mixer shower with thermo control.

now i'll tell you about my naff shower-

a friend of a friend... fitted us a new 9.5 electric shower as our old 7.5 hand fantastic power shower flow if you enjoyed a cold shower or a dribble if you prefered hot!

we are so disappointed with it, there are 3 flow controls but there's little difference between them, it gets very hot which is lovely and the flow looks good but when you have a shower its weak.
i thought a high kw would manage the good cold in let flow better than the 7.5. even high flow setting and no heat is the same flow as high flow setting and heat 5/10
i took the isolator valve off the inlet pipe the other day and it was gunked up, he obviously didn't put a new one on so i did, then i checked the inlet filter on the shower and it had a small piece of grit on it, i've flushed the pipe as i doubt he did.... so i'm thinking could more muck have gone into the shower, there was also alot of plaster dust in the shower casing.... ???

i was going to have a go at fitting this shower myself but hubby didn't have much faith in my diy, and he hasn't got a clue!!!!

If I want a job done I'll do it myself!!!!

I bought the taps before thinking it through, i'll fit them anyway but,
if it works really well i might regret not just fitting a mixer shower with thermo control.

If you want a thermostatic shower valve you do need balanced supplies (ideally from a pump)

moving on .......
What do you think to my electric shower please?

the hot is from the upstairs tank

Make sure you install check valves to comply with regs but also because you could end up with a flood from your cold water cistern if not--mixing high and low pressures. ;)
Just noticed after reading again,you didnt say it was a mixer tap in the bathroom,thats where you have to be careful mixing high and low pressures.

the hot is from the upstairs tank

Make sure you install check valves to comply with regs but also because you could end up with a flood from your cold water cistern if not--mixing high and low pressures. ;)

Indeed, when supplying from both gravity and mains at one fitting that is.

moving on .......
What do you think to my electric shower please?

Not brilliant is it :LOL:

There could be more muck in it, but as you are aware the heater will slow the output flow right down - especially when the supply is winter cold.

Thankyou you have been very helpful

I'll go ahead with the mixer bath/shower tap and see if there is any difference in the summer with the electric shower before changing it although i still think it is strange that even with no heat on the cold water flow is restricted!

Thanx again! :LOL:

The flow will be restricted just by going through the shower - heated or not.

A pump's your best bet, did I say that ? ;)

Let us know how the new shower goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back