Mixer tap and waste - not enough thread for trap...

Here is a photo:

trap.JPG

I can see what was mentioned before about pop up wastes, the thread comes up to it. But why isnt it manufactured so that it is 6mm longer (and therefore have enough for a couple of more turns of thread), then any trap would fit :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
marky9074 said:
But why isnt it manufactured so that it is 6mm longer (and therefore have enough for a couple of more turns of thread), then any trap would fit
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I thought one poster gave you an example of one trap that would fit.

As far as finding out why, you'd be better off asking the manufacturer.

Yes, he did, but I found an alternative solution that cost nothing, rather thank spending another £10 on something I did not need (though I appreciate his help nether the less)

As regards 'why', I was thinking out loud.... I didn't expect anyone to actually know why.

....the screwfix part does not leap out and say 'for pop up wastes', so I think I am right to feel a little confused and ask for help. :rolleyes:

marky9074 said:
Yes, he did, but I found an alternative solution that cost nothing, rather thank spending another £10 on something I did not need (though I appreciate his help nether the less)
Whatever. I was just pointing that you implied that it was difficult to find a trap that would fit, but you were shown a trap that would fit. I very much doubt that it's the only trap that would fit, and I also doubt that you tried very many.

As regards 'why', I was thinking out loud.... I didn't expect anyone to actually know why.
I was also thinking out loud - I didn't expect you to actually bother to ask the manufacturer.

....the screwfix part does not leap out and say 'for pop up wastes', so I think I am right to feel a little confused and ask for help. :rolleyes:
Oh, perhaps you find my post tiresome.

The reality is that the Screwfix part isn't only for pop-up wastes, which is why nothing and nobody 'leapt out' from anywhere.

The other reality is that all lever-operated pop-up wastes are a pain in the ars* from the moment they're taken out of the box.

Sponsored Links
Whatever. I was just pointing that you implied that it was difficult to find a trap that would fit, but you were shown a trap that would fit. I very much doubt that it's the only trap that would fit, and I also doubt that you tried very many.

I just said that the trap I had did not fit. All the pipework and trap was there, so I was not wishing to change it (I just swapped the basin). If there was a £2 plastic white trap that would have fit I probably would have change it out..... I am tight you see! No I did not try any others, as I assumed that they would be a standard size....

Oh, perhaps you find my post tiresome.

The reality is that the Screwfix part isn't only for pop-up wastes, which is why nothing and nobody 'leapt out' from anywhere.

I appreciate that, but if it is a known thing (unknown to me) that (lever) pop up wastes have ~5mm less thread on than normal wastes, I just would have thought it would mention it, as in 'ideal for pop up wastes'.

The other reality is that all lever-operated pop-up wastes are a pain in the ars* from the moment they're taken out of the box.

I hear you there... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back