Mixer tap repair grease

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I repaired my kitchen mixer tap a few years ago, for some reason I’m now concerned that I added grease to the plastic bush above the ‘o’ ring on the spout

If I added grease it would have been automotive/engineering grease!

If I was would it cause a problem, as it would be above the sealing o ring so would it contaminate the water?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Grease wont dissolve in water, so if any was to leak out, it should appear visible in the water. Might not taste very nice, but that small amount isn't likely to have any effects on health!

Thank you

If the grease is above the o-ring, I'm presuming it wouldn't get into the water anyway?

Hopefully not if the O ring is doing its job. My only concern would be if the type of grease used has a detrimental effect on the O ring.

Sponsored Links
I’ve only got two types of grease LM clutch grease for splines!

I’ve just changed the o rings for some new ones, I was going to give it a good clean but the plastic bush looked like it would snap if I took it apart, so I’ve just given it a wipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back