Mixing new and old model RCBOs

Wylex just emailed back saying that there is a slight difference in the form factor of the RCBOs, so the cover doesn't sit right! I've dry fitted and the cover sits fine and solid, so I'm not worried! They said aside from this they can be mixed.
My confidence in common sense is largely restored!

I do 'love' some of this modern jargon. I wonder when shape/size became 'form factor', and why? :)

I suppose one has to wonder why they made a (very small) change in 'form factor', given that it was bound to cause some confusion and/or inconvenience. If, as seems to be the case, the change was very small, one imagines that they could have made it identical to the previous ones.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
One wonders if this latest response is actually correct.
That's obviously always a possibility, particular since the OP does not appear to have detected this 'slight change in form factor'. However, one has to believe something, and (apart from the OPs observations), we have no reason to doubt the correctness of this response from Wylex any more than the previous ones.

Despite the fact, which has been pointed out, that I'm not an electronics design engineer, and despite the theoretical arguments that have been flying about, I still personally feel that if the new RCBOs 'fit' (including terminal arrangement etc.), the the chances of any problem arising by mixing old and new ones is probably incredibly small.

Kind Regards, John

Guys, Wylex didn't use the word "form factor", that's my jargon, we use it at work when dealing with computer components. I'm always trying not to use silly words like that but when I keep hearing them, monkey see monkey do.

I too have slight doubt on Wylex's last email, but it has shifted the balance just enough that I'm not chucking the older RCBOs :)

Sponsored Links
despite the theoretical arguments that have been flying about, I still personally feel that if the new RCBOs 'fit' (including terminal arrangement etc.), the the chances of any problem arising by mixing old and new ones is probably incredibly small.
Whereas I personally feel that implying that it would be acceptable to ignore the manufacturer's advice is incredibly irresponsible.

Whereas I personally feel that implying that it would be acceptable to ignore the manufacturer's advice is incredibly irresponsible.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that my comments were in response to the OP telling us that the manufacturer has now told him that old and new RCBOs can be mixed, other than some slight different in dimensions which may mean that "the cover doesn't sit quite right" (but the OP has tried, and finds that the cover "sits fine").

You also seem to be overlooking the fact that more recent comments are in the context of my previously having written:
.... That's obviously the 'correct' and ultra-cautious approach ...
and
... It would obviously be wrong for me to advocate anything other than the 'correct' approach

I also wonder why, in view of your above comments, you 'Liked' the OP's recent message in which he indicated that he is now going to mix old and new RCBOs?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back