MK CU Spares

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Had a bit of a moment with my garage CU and have managed to break one of the plastic lugs holding the neutral bar in ! Can these be sourced from anywhere ? Tried MK but haven't had any joy from them unfortunately.

No cheap second-hand units on eBay at the moment either so can't go down the cannibalisation route. The unit is a 10-way metalclad K5608SMET.

Alternatively, if anyone has any redundant/kept for spares units laying around that they could send me one out of, I'd obviously be willing to pay for it.

I just don't want to have to fork out another £35 or so for another CU because of a 10p part !

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it similar to this?

upload_2018-10-15_0-9-18.png

If it is - arrange it so that there is just one holder between the two bars.

It is similar EFLImpudence but the lugs don't have a solid piece in them, i.e. if you turned them 90 degrees around, you would be able to see straight through them. Wouldn't there be a risk of the two separate bars touching each other in that case or is there some sort of stop inside that I haven't noticed ? I must admit I haven't taken the good one off to check - sorry.

Mmmm. If there is nothing to stop the bar sliding straight through then it might not be advisable.

If that is the case they must be held in position just by the screws.

Examine it and possibly put a piece of rubber in to keep the bars apart ???

I couldn't see any on the net but they must be obtainable somewhere. Someone else might know when they wake up.

Sponsored Links
Could you either replace the earth bar with a 3rd-party one with integral mounts or drill through the end terminal position to take a nut and bolt either through whatever the bar sits on or through to the CU case? Doubt that you're using all 10 ways in the garage, and even if you are I'm sure you could double up to only need 9 ways in the earth bar.

Then you could take one of the lugs from the earth bar and use it for the neutral.

Last edited:
It's a neutral bar in a metal CU. The OP therefore obviously cannot bolt a new bar onto the case through one of the terminal positions on a new bar.

Sorry - I thought of, and added, the "replace" option without the necessary rewording.

The idea is to use one of the lugs from the earth bar for the neutral, and then either replace the earth bar or modify it.

I'll edit the post to make it clearer.

I like the idea of using the earth bar clamp and modifying the earth bar to fit, never thought of that one. There are only 8 usable ways in the CU and at present only four are in use. The most I will eventually be using is 6 so I will have a look at that one tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather get another lug as I'm a bit OCD about modifications but your idea seems very plausible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back