MK grid fuse module box depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here have experience with grid fuse modules? In particular is it reasonably practical to fit them on a 25mm pattress box or does one need to go deeper?

Sponsored Links
You can see the overall depth of 31.5 given here, with the dotted outline of the faceplate...

grid fuse.jpg

..so would estimate it sticks out 20 or 21mm, just from putting a ruler on my laptop screen!

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
I would recommend a minimum 35mm box too, recently installed a 4-way grid with two fuse modules into a 30mm surface box, it went in fine just about but had to make sure i dressed all the cabling neatly behind.

Afaict the only specific boxes for grid plus are metal. It's going to be fed by existing mini-trunking and I can't think of any neat way to join a metal box to mini trunking.

I need two fuses and three lightswitches, plan is to use a dual box with a grid on one side and a triple lightswitch on the other. The annoying thing is the only dual surface box screwfix sell is 25mm, so i'll have to go elsewhere to get that.

upload_2017-4-22_15-22-46.png

At first glance they seem bulky, but lots of room around them, this had 1.5mm 3 core and earth behind it i just used a dual box from the wholesalers nothing special, I never checked, so assume it was a marshall tuflex box it did not seem any deeper than the standard mk surface boxes like the single k2181 though.

Don't mean to be critical, but -

As neither the fuses nor isolator are really necessary, it could look a lot less bulky.

Is that separate fuses in the perm and switched live to the fan?
Yes, the fan had failed and was originally connected to a FCU, that fused the permanent feed and the switched live was in a connecter block in the back of the box.
It was a commercial premises, with lots of lights on the circuit and was I recall, fused at 10 amps.
At the time I felt it was the safest option, it was a toilet only room with no natural light, so one of them occasions where removing the fcu fuse, and assuming dead, with the light on couid have resulted in electrocution.

Don't mean to be critical, but -

As neither the fuses nor isolator are really necessary, it could look a lot less bulky.
Sorry to hijack plugwash thread :)

No problem, i respect your comments.
At the least it would still need at least 1 connection box or extending the wire via the ceiling to within the fan.
Isolating the circuit caused disruption elsewhere in the premises, so I felt the isolater would eliminate this in future fan changes.
If it had been a 6 amp circuit maybe things would have been different, though thinking about it how would you fuse a TIMER fan at 3 amp even on a 6amp circuit.
Bearing in mind it was a staff toilet, aesphetics would be more considered in a domestic setting.

Thanks for your comments.

I never checked, so assume it was a marshall tuflex box it did not seem any deeper than the standard mk surface boxes like the single k2181 though.
Searching for K2181 it seems to be a 32mm box. So deeper than the 25mm dual box screwfix sell. Kinda academic now anyway since the screwfix dual-box is click and collect only. I'll pick up a deeper dual box from B&Q (according to their website they do a 38mm one).

My scenario is I have a lean-to fed from a spur on the ring, the electrician wired a double socket and a FCU for the light off this one spur.

I now plan to add a couple of outside lights and I would also like the option of adding more sockets. So the plan is 13A fuse for sockets, 3A fuse for lights. Then a triple switch to control the lights (existing in the lean-to plus two new outside lights).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back