MK Grid plates - screws on top and bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm ordering up some grid bits for my first grid-related DIY! I've hit a snag... For a 2-gang plate, the mounting screws are top and bottom rather than left and right:

MKK3632.JPG

Now, that wouldn't normally be a problem, except I was planning to use a white plastic surface-mount conduit box, and want the conduit coming out the top. If I rotate the box, the screw mountings will be right where I want my conduit coming out (the top).

But then I looked at the mounting frame:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/MKK3702.JPG

Those two extra holes (top and bottom), are they tapped for screws, or are they just so you can slide screws through to fix into a box behind?

I'm thinking I might be able to mount the frame on a "normally"-oriented box, then screw the faceplate onto the frame. Does anyone know if these are designed for that? :?:

Sponsored Links
The top and bottom centre screws on the frame are for the face plate.

The side ones hold the frame to any standard back box.

So clip modules in to frame, terminate, screw frame to back box, screw face plate to frame.

It is curious though, I never noticed before, all of the Grid Logic switch plates have the fixing screws on each side, except for the two gang plate - this has its mounting screws top & bottom.

Probably not enough real estate on the plate with the frame fixing screws. must have a look at a frame.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, the 2-gang plates have the faceplate screws set slightly in from where the box screws (which hold the actual grid in) will be, on the 1-gang plate there isn't enough room for that, so they go top and bottom instead...

Dont lose the face plate screws either as they are an odd size.
They are not 3.5 mm

Indeed, the 2-gang plates have the faceplate screws set slightly in from where the box screws (which hold the actual grid in) will be, on the 1-gang plate there isn't enough room for that, so they go top and bottom instead...

:confused: Do you Mean the other way round :?:

Depends how you define gang - I was using 1 and 2 gang in relation to the mounting boxes, if you use it in relation to the number of grid 'slots' as it were then the 2 gang goes top and bottom, the rest in a bit from the sides...

The mounting box for one and two gang are the same.

The mounting frames for one and two gang are different.

Depends how you define gang - I was using 1 and 2 gang in relation to the mounting boxes, if you use it in relation to the number of grid 'slots' as it were then the 2 gang goes top and bottom, the rest in a bit from the sides...

I get you now :)
Like the 3 and 4 gang frames

Dont lose the face plate screws either as they are an odd size.
They are not 3.5 mm

What size are they my plates didn't come with screws and 3.5mm go way too tight, they bite and within a eigth turn you know it's not sensible to carry on.

Ideas?

Dont know size, easiest way is to buy a 1 gang logic front, keep the screws and bin the plate

Send an e-mail or call MK. They might put a couple in an envelope for you if you ask really nicely.

Thanks guys, supplier has sent x 4 (a 6w plate).

Since the plate cost a staggering £17+ VAT (MK chrome 6w) I bloody well made sure that they did :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back