Mk Sentry board question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an MK Sentry Split load board fitted.

When the installer fitted it I noticed all the MCB's were on the ****, doesn't look too clever but didnt see the point in moaning about it. Noticed on another post that quite a lot of these boards dont have straight MCB's

Is this purely the way it is and can it be corrected?

Sponsored Links
Sure they should be straight.

Power off, loosen the busbar connections, straighten up the CBs and re tighten.

Sloppy work to not have done it properly.

I would wonder what he has done to the things that you can't see if he's left the things that you can see in a cr@p condition.

No, they are straight on mine.
Fitted it myself a while back, I think it's quite easy to get them straight, just need a bit of care and attention when you do up the busbar screws.

I'll post a pic if I can find one.
-Dan

The only thing which holds them in position is the copper bus bar at the bottom. I think you have to be pushing the right-most one hard to the left, while originally tightening up the screws holding onto the bus bar.

If they're not fairly straight it's hard to get the cover to fit.

Edit: Darn!

Sponsored Links
Photo would be apreciated. I have seen a couple of posts on here where they are all at an angle so wasn't sure.

There is a fairly large chance someone may be disconnecting a disused immersion heater cable at some point this weekend and they would want to straighten them up if it was possible.

:confused: why doesn't the DIN-rail hold them at the same height?

or do you mean they are level but slanted?

For some reason they do seem to go a bit slanted more often than not.

You obviously need to nip up the busbar screw enough so that there isn't a bad connection, but in nipping it up it seems to make the MCB lean a bit to the right. :confused:

MK boards can be a feminine dog for it. Need to clamp the whole lot together with one hand while you tighten.

My preferred way around it is not to fit MK, but sometimes you have to work with the swine. Crabtree starbreaker metalclads aren't great for the wonky-effect either, not much you can do either!

Let's be fair. It's the design of the DIN rail. There's no positive orientation provided when there's a cable pulling one end sideways. The only way it could be improved is by a better (stronger) clamp on the MCB or whatever.

Let's be fair. It's the design of the DIN rail. There's no positive orientation provided when there's a cable pulling one end sideways. The only way it could be improved is by a better (stronger) clamp on the MCB or whatever.

Nah, the din rail or half rail is standard to just about every unit. The problem tends to be the busbar clamps, some try to twist against the busbar as you tighten them, or allow movement when you terminate the cable.

I fit quite a few MK sentry CUs and I've never had a problem with slanting MCBs

As mentioned the front cover wouldn't fit properly if they were askew unless blanking plates were missing!

Also there shouldn't be any strain on the cabling to cause MCBs to move.

I fit quite a few MK sentry CUs and I've never had a problem with slanting MCBs

As mentioned the front cover wouldn't fit properly if they were askew unless blanking plates were missing!

Also there shouldn't be any strain on the cabling to cause MCBs to move.

not strain on the cable, just the twisting action of tightening it up.

Have thought about this some more- I think a well secured mainswitch helps a lot by giving the mcb's nowhere to move to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back