Modern MK RCBOs in old (1986 vintage) Sentry Consumer Unit

MK used to sell a "retrofit kit" consisting of an adapter cable and a section of busbar for mounting "pin style" devices in their older "fork style" CUs. I'm pretty sure it disappeard some time ago though.

Sponsored Links
The main switch appears to be an RCCB (which is an RCD). There is another RCD top left doing something too.

The time clock is a disaster area, because it appears the live terminals are exposed.

The consumer unit is in a convenient place, so JUST REPLACE THE WHOLE LOT.

Last edited:
Apart from one cable that goes down (lighting ?) everything goes up so you'd only need to extend one circuit via a small junction box or similar?

The main switch appears to be an RCCB (which is an RCD).

It appears that there might be no main switch (unless its out of frame).
It took me a moment, but it looks like the supply to the top section (lights and shower) is via a set of tails straight of the henleys, while the supply to the bottom section (rings, power, cooker) runs via that RCD (which appears to be 100ma), the circuit then feeding outside power is run via an RCD thats been put on the right hand side of the top section.

OP, theres only 10 actual circuits there and the existing is a bit of a butchered mess, its got to go, other than having the timeclock in there and being on two rows there is not anything particualy unique about the situation, looks like you could fit a 20 way singe row board there easily once that RCD comes out. Timeclock can go in a separate enclosure bushed to board

Not worth doing anything else, you could probably give the old one to @flameport for his virtual musuem!

Sponsored Links
The main switch appears to be an RCCB (which is an RCD). There is another RCD top left doing something too.
As you say, the 'Main Switch' appears to be the thing which the OP is calling the "external isolator", which is actually an RCD. My undressing from what the OP has told us is that the RCD at the top right is feeding all of the circuits in the bottom half of the CU. As you are perhaps implying, it could be essentially redundant, but I can't see thee external one clearly enough to ascertain its characteristics (it might not be a 30mA one).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it's certainly been messed about with, and needs a good looking at to see what is going on there.

And clearly some kind of incompetent goon fitted the time clock, by butchering the front of the consumer unit to accommodate it, which left the live terminals exposed for anyone to touch.

That stuff I believe was made by Siemens.
Solution may be to put any make Rcds in a seperate enclosure, butted up to the consumer unit.

Last inspected 1987 - it's decades overdue for an inspection and should have been replaced some time ago.
Attempting to shoehorn modern items into that will end in failure.
It's already scrap because of the live exposed terminals where the cover has been destroyed to fit the timer.

Replace with an 18 way main switch consumer unit with surge protection, 10 RCBOs and 8 blanks from any of the reputable brands. You don't need a double stacked unit.
That separate RCD would also be removed.

That stuff I believe was made by Siemens.
Solution may be to put any make Rcds in a seperate enclosure, butted up to the consumer unit.
It may have been, but based on the general crapness of it all, I think complete replacement by someone who knows what they are doing may be the answer.

Hopefully the time clock can be salvaged, and put in a separate enclosure.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back