Mock Tudor Boards

Sponsored Links
looks a good solution if you own a house with the timber 1s already fitted but have rotted out.

People said the same about windows.

Cheers
Richard
I'm thinking you're a bit of a wood purist Gerald?

85% of UK houses would not benefit from beautiful wooden windows because they are too ugly in any case. A bit like putting lipstick on a pig.

No one in their right mind is suggesting that you use plastic facings on a traditional Tudor style cottage. However, for those footballer types who are completely bereft of taste, they are a good solution to the mock Tudor boards thar are now happily rotting a way on most neglected modern homes.

I'm thinking you're a bit of a wood purist Gerald?

85% of UK houses would not benefit from beautiful wooden windows because they are too ugly in any case. A bit like putting lipstick on a pig.

I don't know about "purist", but I do think retro-fitted uPVC windows have destroyed the heritage and the aesthetics of our domestic architecture. Windows are the eyes of a house, they're what distinguishes a Georgian from an Edwardian from a Deco house. They were designed in proportion to the building. You can come into York on the Hull Road now, past period terraces and semis and not see a single timber window for a mile. All have been replaced with ill-proportioned, mismatched plastic.

Many well-maintained timber windows have lasted over a century. I don't see plastic windows guaranteed for a fraction of that. After 20 years they just look muddy. And what happened to colour? In the 1930s street I grew up in, doors and windows were all sorts of colours. Everything now is just a sea of shades of off-white.

I live for the day when someone discovers uPVC causes some dread disease, and it all has to be ripped out by men in biohazard suits.

Apart from that I've nothing against it really :D

Cheers
Richard

Damn, I was looking forward to a good argument. Maybe this is the wrong forum for it.

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Many more rotted because people could not be bothered with the upkeep. And this is the crux of the matter.

That's true. But how much does it cost to have someone paint your windows every few years, compared with the cost of replacing uPVC entirely when it comes to the end of its life?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back