Modern Slavery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm always seeing this "Modern Slavery Statement" on websites and in terms and conditions. I find it a bit odd that large companies have to point this out... doesn't it go without saying that they don't have slaves amongst their staff?

I just assume it's one of those modern, virtue signalling things, or perhaps some nonsense the state has introduced, whilst otherwise failing at everything.

There is slavery going on in the world mind, and always has been, despite the BBC believing that Britain invented it. And perhaps in this globalised world we now inhabit, the trans national companies have to be careful not to inadvertently end up having dealings that somehow involve work done by slaves, however difficult that would realistically be.

That said, there seems to be slavery in this country right now - I wonder why?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

Sponsored Links
You'll be amazed at how many companies have found dodgy employment practices in their supply chain. Its not just their own staff, but their agents, contractors, suppliers etc.

Sponsored Links
You only need to look at any car wash site to see slavery in action.

Or the modern version of Big Issue sellers stood outside supermarkets. Instead of helping homeless Brits earn some money and dignity as it was intended, it is now hijacked by foreign gangs using slave labour. Another evil scam that needs reining in.

1709275972140.png

Or the modern version of Big Issue sellers stood outside supermarkets. Instead of helping homeless Brits earn some money and dignity as it was intended, it is now hijacked by foreign gangs using slave labour. Another evil scam that needs reining in.

Is this what you mean?

Some of the most common misconceptions we hear are about our Romanian vendors. Sceptics claim that gang members fraudulently buy copies of The Big Issue and force others to sell it, driving them to and from their pitches. This is rooted in several key misunderstandings:
    • Firstly, it is not possible for anyone to fraudulently buy the magazine. Vendors must register with their nearest office (either in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, or Sheffield) before they can buy magazines. With around 250–350 vendors working at any one time, our frontline staff quickly get to know vendors by face and name.
    • Secondly, and most importantly, the vendors (usually men) mistaken for gang operatives are simply fortunate enough to come from large, loving families. To save time and money, it is common for large families in which multiple members sell The Big Issue to pool financial resources to purchase a car. One member can then use it to buy everyone’s magazines for the week and to drive their partner, siblings, parents, children, cousins, aunts or uncles who also sell the magazine to and from their pitches.

• Secondly, and most importantly, the vendors (usually men) mistaken for gang operatives are simply fortunate enough to come from large, loving families. To save time and money, it is common for large families in which multiple members sell The Big Issue to pool financial resources to purchase a car. One member can then use it to buy everyone’s magazines for the week and to drive their partner, siblings, parents, children, cousins, aunts or uncles who also sell the magazine to and from their pitches.
Sounds like a family business, no longer buy the big issue as it was no longer sold mainly by the homeless.

I gave a seller a banana today. I never buy the paper or give money.

I gave a seller a banana today. I never buy the paper or give money.

If I'm in Truro I normally buy a copy and give them a fiver, think the cover price is about £4. It's a worthy cause and I like the principle of a handup not a handout. To be fair, the magazine itself is usually a pretty good read.
I've always been aware of them but took more of an interest after reading 'A street cat named Bob', (the famous Big Issue cat.

This blokes had a few quid off me over the years, nice guy.

Just to be clear, I like the Big Issue and think it is a very noble cause, but I won't buy it if it is being sold by Roma gypsy women. I'm not keen on it being sold by foreigners at all for that matter - why not go back home and be homeless there? I like Bod's idea of giving them some fruit though - certainly the women who will be handing money over to some scumbags no doubt.

Just to be clear, I like the Big Issue and think it is a very noble cause, but I won't buy it if it is being sold by Roma gypsy women. I'm not keen on it being sold by foreigners at all for that matter - why not go back home and be homeless there? I like Bod's idea of giving them some fruit though - certainly the women who will be handing money over to some scumbags no doubt.
I've done this ever since I was in Delhi. A restaurant owner kicking a young girl, sitting on a step outside his restaurant.

I F ed and blinded at him. He said all the money they collect goes to gangs.

He was right but I wasn't having him stop me from feeding this young girl.

Sponsored Links
Back