Modifications have caused damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a 20 year old house but the previous owner who was disabled had a few modifications done by dodgy builders.
Firstly they have constructed an access ramp along the side of the house that has bridged the damp proof course. They didn't even place a barrier up against the wall so the concrete has bonded itself to the wall and will be hell to remove and look a right mess afterwards. :(

Secondly and more worringly they have installed a shower / wet room in the downstairs cloak / utility room. They have installed a drain in the floor that must have gone through the damp proof membrane in order to connect to the drains running outside. Although I cannot see damp in the floor because it is all covered with a waterproof lino the survey recorded high damp meter readings in this room on the internal walls. Also on the outside wall there is a large bloom of white staining on the brickwork exactly where the shower drain is.

We would like to remove the shower room and return it to it's original cloak / utility room.

If I remove the drain and they have broken the DPM how easy is that to repair?

The work was done about 5 years ago, is there any further damage that could have been done by being left damp for 5 years?

What could have caused the white staining on the outside wall and is that an indicator of further problems?

Many thanks for your help.

Neil

Sponsored Links
somebody armed with a damp meter, took a reading in a SHOWER ROOM and found it to have damp. surprise surprise!

was his first name Shirlock?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back