Modified Y-Plan. Any problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have an Y-plan heating with an honeywell ST9400 programmer. I would like to use a different programmer having only 2 instead of 3 output wires. Therefore, i would not use the DHW OFF output anymore. Is that possible? What problems would occur?

Thanks a lot. Alex

Sponsored Links
It would not work properly!

Although you can reconstitute a HW off using a relay!

Tony

That sounds like a good solution. What kind of relay do I need? How am I supposed to wire it?

Hello, i have an Y-plan heating with an honeywell ST9400 programmer. I would like to use a different programmer having only 2 instead of 3 output wires.
What's so special about the new programmer?

Programmers made for CH and HW will have a HW OFF terminal, so it sounds as if you are trying to use the new programmer in a way which is not intended.

Sponsored Links
I have a programmer with 4 wires. One for Live, one for neutral, one for HW On, one for CH On. so the output wires can be energized, but there isn't a DHW OFF wire. The question ist: can i control an Y-plan using this special programmer?

i mean a S-plan or an W-plan just needs 2 wires....

I was just wondering why you didn't purchase a programmer with a HW OFF terminal. Does the new one have some must-have feature which you can't do without?

If you are stuck with the new programmer the way to wire the relay is as shown in the diagram below (Click image to enlarge):

You need a single pole, single throw (SPST) 3A mains relay with a 240Vac coil, but a SPDT or DPDT will do as well. You will also need a socket for the relay and some form of enclosure to make it safe.

You should be able to get what you need from an electronics component store, e.g Maplins in the UK.

The drawing in this post is now correct

Sorry Dave mate,your drawing is not workable you need to use a changeover relay
connect the relay common to live
connect the n/c contact to the valve grey/cyl sat
connect the n/o to the cylinder stat common
disconnect H/w on from the cylinder stat common and reconnect it to the relay coil

there is a drawing in my album,
View media item 62012
which happens to be the same as Daves
err........ and also wrong ...... I'll adjust it later
( and adjusted as promised ;))
:eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: ;)

Sorry Dave mate,your drawing is not workable
Why not?

Because if you are on central heating only and the room stat is calling ie feeding 230v through to the orange via the valve
it will also backfeed your relay coil via the cylinder stat (which will be calling ) and energise it, quickly followed by the valve dropping back which will in turn drop out the relay which will then re-engage the valve which will re-energise the relay
in,out,in,out shake it all about ;)

matt

Like this I mean

no I dont lol hang on
second thoughts
best ignore everything I say , Ive been on the drink all after noon

:D :D :D :D :D :D :oops: :oops:

had a fancy new programmer fitted by a large company (Olympic sponsor) who sell contracts,it did not work although the gasman said I can have independent hw or heating.they were unable to correct their fault so I asked an electrician to investigate he was able to adapt an existing wire in the programmer to provide a hw off and it all works very well now.
he also found the boiler was not connected to an earth.well I suppose a gasman is a gasman. very happy with it now.though.

Right this way will definitely work as intended, I have adjusted daves drawing
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I hadn't thought about the possibility of the cylinder stat still calling when the programmer was on CH only.

Your revision of my diagram will definitely work, but it will need a single pole double throw (SPDT) relay.

I really must get round to copyrighting my diagrams. Then I would be able to sue you for breach of copyright. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Right this way will definitely work as intended, I have adjusted daves drawing
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I hadn't thought about the possibility of the cylinder stat still calling when the programmer was on CH only.

Your revision of my diagram will definitely work, but it will need a single pole double throw (SPDT) relay.

I really must get round to copyrighting my diagrams. Then I would be able to sue you for breach of copyright. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

No probs mate I am guilty of the same mistake myself ( see my earlier diagram above)
As for copyright issues you're right and I should do the same ( but we will have to make sure they are correct first lol)

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back