Modifying Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first post!

Im redoing my kitchen, and along with this would like to tidy up the bodged wiring and add a socket.

Here is a current diagram of how it looks, the orange lines is the ring circuit T&E.

old_kitchen.gif

I would like to replace all cable apart from the one that is adjoining connected to the Consumer unit. Add a new 1Gang socket, and put cables in safe zones. How does this look, in terms of conforming to the regs.
The cables above the worktops are chased in plaster and the ones below are tacked to the wall behind the kitchen base units.

new_kitchen.gif

If I read correctly, the work that i propose is non-notifiable and possible by a DIYer since the 2013 Part P changes. Can you confirm?

Here is some pictures of how I found it, for context. This is the left side of the diagram:

kitchen1.jpg

This is half of the right side of the diagram.
kitchen2.jpg

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, you can do the work but it should be tested which you probably won't be able to do.

The cables would look a lot better clipped neatly.
If you want to bury them that is up to you but there really is not much advantage.
If you bury the ones to the CU as drawn, they will not be in the correct zones, nor will the cable drawn under the sockets.

The circuit must be RCD protected when you have done what you want.

If they were chased in, the cables under the window would not be in the safe zone, as a safe zone does not extend around corners.

Sponsored Links
That's not the only reason though, you're limiting yourself in the future by installing spurs from day one. I know in a kitchen it's unlikely to be that big a deal, but if you wanted to spur off one of the sockets in the cupboard, say. You couldn't

Actually, your way saves cable, too. It was just the 'electrically' I disagreed with.

Don't have a ring, then; wire it in a 4mm² radial.

Maybe 'practically' would have been a better word to use.

As the OP wants to avoid notification, I don't think a 4mm² radial is the way to go, as much as I like them

Electrically, this way is better, everything's on the ring

Yes, I would still go up-and-down to the kitchen worktop sockets though, rather than horizontally. There's always a risk that someone will want to drill for a spice rack or something between the sockets, or even add another socket in the future and it's not handy of the space is blocked by cable.

Firstly, you can do the work but it should be tested which you probably won't be able to do.

If you want to bury them that is up to you but there really is not much advantage.
If you bury the ones to the CU as drawn, they will not be in the correct zones, nor will the cable drawn under the sockets.

Can you explain the safe zone thing to me please ?

Hello all, thanks for all your replies and discussion. Its a great help.

Am I right in saying that if the T&E is just tacked to the wall, it does not need to be in a safe zone. The only safe zones required are when it is concealed in the wall - ie in the kitchen plaster surface. The only parts I will chase are above the Worktop.

Also, The design is not based around avoiding notification as such, the design is based around small modification and tidying the current install. Lack of notification and getting electrician in is ideal for me to save cost though, and i like to do things myself.

In terms of testing the installation I will be using a 'Advanced plug socket tester' (Kewtech 107) and multi-meter.

Thanks. Can you expand on the testing requirements part?

This kitchen circuit is already on an RCD in the CU. I assume that will suffice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back