Moisture in my kitchen/diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen/diner which is about 5.5m by 2.5. I've recently noticed that I'm getting a bit of moisture on the floor. I have a ceramic tile floor, and I'm putting the moisture down to condensation as the floor tiles are quite cold and when it warms up and I cook, I think it creates the moisture, It is mainly on the floor by the wall in the dining room area (which is an outside wall). I was just wondering if anyone could suggest something to help prevent it? I have opened the kitchen window a bit while cooking but afterwards it still seemed to happen.

I had a cupboard unit against that wall, and recently moved it out only to find small puddles on the floor and a bit of mold on the back of the cupboard. It's a right pain if I can't keep my cupboard in the room and I keep having to mop up moisture :(

Sponsored Links
This sounds like one hell of a lot of condensation....! I would really expect the windows to get steamed up first. Have your ceramic tiles been laid on a concrete floor, which maybe has no vapour barrier beneath? Does the grout between the tiles look particularly wet? I think you need to buy a cheap damp tester to see if the floor is permanently wet - also check the wall area where the problem is at its worst to check for rising damp. Cheers John

Yeah I do get condensation on the windows. The wall doesn't feel wet at all, it's just cold. For example, last night, the floor felt "sweaty" in the far corner, just a bit. I wiped it all dry and checked it in the morning before I went to work and it seemed ok. I checked it as soon a s I got in from work and again it seemed ok. Even the grout looked dry ( it was a bit wet about 1cm from the wall) I only noticed more moisture tonight after having the heating on and cooking. Bear in mind the heating hadn't been on all day so the room would have been fairly cool. It's the one place where there isn't really any permanent ventilation, wall vents etc.

The ceramic tiles are on the original quarry tiles.

I'm putting it down to the tiles been extra cold in the recent chilly weather and obviously poor ventilation in a room that is nice and warm and also used for cooking everyday. I'm not an expert but I think that's it?

Sponsored Links
I do yes, put it on full (when I remember) but I don't think it does much to be honest.

you seem to know the cause of your condensation problems !.

just a remedy you seek :D .

how about a wall extractor?

Yeah I think I do, just wanted some other input I guess, thanks guys. I assume it extracts, it doesn't extract outside though. I think I might remove a brick and put in a wall vent :)

if your cooker hood doesnt extract to outside, then it recirculates...........probably best to extract to outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back