Money grubbing charities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you remember the days when charity workers stood in the street with their collecting tins, or they put little envelopes through your door and came round for them a few days later. Half the time you couldn't find the envelope and you had to do a quick rummage through your loose change to put in a spare one which they always had ready. It was for a good cause and they weren't getting paid so you didn't mind. I used to shake a tin myself on Rag days.

How things have changed. Those little envelopes have given way to large ones containing lengthy sob stories and a direct debit form. The genuine volunteers with their tins are still out there but now they have competition from a new breed of professional fund raisers who earn commission on the money they collect.

Now I regularly put money in collection tins and nothing from this house goes in the bin if there's half a chance that it will sell in a charity shop or jumble sale but this lot really get on my t*t ends. It's not the method of payment that annoys me so much as the fact that they are telling me how much I ought to pay!

I can see why they do it. A single £10 debit is worth a hundred 10p coins in the tin - and it's repeated month after month because most of us are too lazy to cancel direct debits. The really worrying thing is that there are old and confused people out there who might think these begging letters are bills and pay up without bothering to read the small print.

The final straw came when a charity person rang the doorbell asking for money to support Japanese students. She had an official looking identity card and I've no doubt it was real but she didn't have anything resembling a collection tin. When I queried this she pointed to her handbag. Now this was a bit unorthodox but I'd been a student myself so I set off in search of loose change - but she beat me to it. "You can give as much as you like" she said "Ten pounds, or even just five." That was the end of the line. I told her in no uncertain terms that nobody was going to tell me how much I should donate and sent her packing.

I know two different people who refuse to give anything to a very large and well known charity (not the RSPCA) because they've heard that too much of the money disappears in administration costs. Fund raisers' fees perhaps? I don't take anything to the ***** shop now (it goes to Marie Curie or the Cat Protection League instead) and I have a simple rule. All begging letters telling me how much I ought to pay go straight in the bin!

Does anybody else think that these money grubbing tactics are giving charity a bad name?

Sponsored Links
quite a few 'funraisers' probably take money outta the tin before handing it in. and get commission. i rarely give money to charities, and if i do its usually a cat/animal charity

felix said:
Do you remember the days when charity workers stood in the street with their collecting tins, or they put little envelopes through your door and came round for them a few days later. Half the time you couldn't find the envelope and you had to do a quick rummage through your loose change to put in a spare one which they always had ready. It was for a good cause and they weren't getting paid so you didn't mind. I used to shake a tin myself on Rag days.
Sadly I don't give money to charity unless I know where the money is going. I remember some time back a Blind association manager has a interest free loan mortage and top of the range car from the fund. Also one of the famous newsreader and daytime TV show collected £15,000 payment from the children abuse charity. This one get me is Cherie Blair got over £100,000 payment from the children cancer charity and this is why I won't give money away unless I know where it's going but it's not fair on the others charity who are doing a good job.

Yes fees charged by household names like these are terrible really, suppose thats what they mean about charity beginning at home.

Sponsored Links
Strange thing about door collections, we dump all copper coinage into plastic bag each week, ready for collectors, mostly they never return (I am at home most of the time) for envelopes, heaven only knows who delivers the white bags for clothes etc .. "Leave outside Thurs morn etc" tried leaving out each Thurs for a month, home all day each time saw neither hide 'nor hair of any collector !!

Kelly's at it as well then, Not enough for our kel' Is there more to the city marathon than catches the eye ?

.. Road safety campaigners have criticised magistrates after they decided not to ban a Conservative peer who admitted driving at 113mph on a dual carriageway.
Lord Howard, 63, of Castle Rising, Norfolk admitted breaking the speed limit on the A47 at nearby Terrington St John, Norfolk, in February.
A court in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, was told he already had two previous speeding convictions.
But magistrates decided not to impose a driving ban after Lord Howard argued that such a move would cause hardship to his constituents and charities he worked for.
Lord Howard - whose first name is Greville - had six points added to his licence, giving him a total of 12 and was fined £470 following a hearing on Tuesday.
-- What is going on !! See how it goes ? This smacks of "Ah never mind, boys will be boys, as long as they are not suburban riff raff" :evil:

Crumbs, I wasn't expecting that! Five comments from a non-random group is not statistically valid but I was expecting a mixed response including a least one accusation of being mean. Bad name? It couldn't get much worse!

If this is repeated throughout the general population then charities have a major problem on their hands. Could it be that they have alienated most of us and are now living largely off those poor old souls who mistook their letters for bills?

I understand the charities money collecting has gone down since the Lottery started.

charities should be smaller more local concerns in that there is more likelihood of funds getting to where they count as opposed to overheads.
As it stands at the moment i think direct action is the only way to be charitable these days ie helping out elderly neighbours,youth projects,disaster help etc.

Mason wrote:

I understand the charities money collecting has gone down since the Lottery started.

Quite true and hardly unexpected. Lots of people must pass by collection boxes thinking "I put two quid on the lottery every week and that's plenty". I also agree with Kendor. Support your local charity. A hospice near us has fought back and started its own lottery. Smart move that and a much better place to gamble two quid a week.

My sister worked for one of the large charities, in one of their shops, first surprise they got paid, I always believed services were given free, as like my sister most were retired. Second surprise, all the stuff taken, was sorted out , with the staff taking what they wanted, as this was a up market town in Sussex there were some expensive clothes given.

She only stayed for a couple of weeks, said she didn't like the way they carried on but I did notice her standard of dress had improved.

Apparently, Scope (The spastics Society) now has a boss on over £100,000 per annum, during his time the staff on over £40,000 has risen by 50% ... £5M operating deficit and £15M pensions black hole. .. allegedly, executives claim it is too expensive to carry on providing residential care for the severely handicapped.
I guess if we donate to them, we carry on doing so until, and beyond that point where they actually physically help no-one, but become, like some imagine the Police force, just consultants giving advice and scratching their a rses.... we pay their salaries for something else don't we ?
Or should it run like a manufacturing business with defined required outputs which if not met results in job losses ? ... It seems civil servants and charity bosses have jobs for life, or do they ?
:) :)

Stop being so mean.

Thanks petewood, I need that!

And thanks pipme for jogging the memory cells. Scope were one of the first 'charities' to shove a direct debit form through my letter box. I was about to file it in the usual place when I noticed a questionnaire and a reply paid envelope. I can't remember all the questions but one of them said something like this:

"What do you think of our new name?"

Answer:

"Who the b****y hell ARE you? I used to support the Spastics Society but Scope? Is this a wind-up?"

I think there was another one:

"Do you find giving by direct debit convenient?"

Answer:

"I choose when, how and to whom I give my money. You don't."

There were many more which are long since forgotten but I distinctly remember writing "money grubbing parasites" somewhere in my answers. Oddly enough I got no more begging letters from Scope!

I seem to recall a year or two after Red Nose Day started, Comic Relief requested people to stop sending money because they hadn't managed to spend all the money they had! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back