Mono-pitch roof advice - Woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've build a free-standing brick shed and I want to put a mono pitched slate roof on it. I'm happy with the membrane, battens and slate side of things, but I'm just not 100% on the woodwork. Hence I thought I'd ask the experts!

I'm happy with the front (the lower wall) in that I need each truss to overhang the brickwork and I'll cut in a bird's mouth so it sits tidy on the brick, but it's the back that I'm not 100% sure about.

I've attached a picture of the building, it's not to scale but the measurements are on it.

I've got the following questions:
1) Do I fix the back as shown in the picture marked (1) or the picture marked (2); i.e., does the rear sit on the wood or do I fix it to the front face of the brick
2) How many trusses do I need, the shed is 3.2 metres wide
3) Will I need a piece of CLS to run from left to right to brace the trusses together; i.e., place the CLS half way between the front and rear walls going from left to right and fix each truss to that piece of CLS?
4) If I should fix as shown in picture (2) then Do I fix it straight to the wall or do I fix a piece of wood horizontally from left to right and then fix the trusses to that?
5) What are the brackets called to fix it to the brickwork?
6) Will I need a fixing bracket on the front (lower) wall? I assume I will... what is the bracket called in the trade?

Thanks in advance for any help - very much appreciated!!!! I've found videos on pretty much every other roof type apart from this one so just want to be sure before I get started.

Any general tips or pointers to guides will be much appreciated too :)

Attachments

• Shed roof.jpg
    Shed roof.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 332
Sponsored Links
I would go with option one. You will need a couple of 4x2" lengths of timber on each wall to nail the rafters to, which will need strapping down with wall straps one each end and one in the middle 10no 4x2 rafters.

Catlad, thanks so much for replying!

So would I fix the 4X2 on top rather than on the face of the final course of brick?

I'd fix that to the top of each wall using the wall straps, cut the bird mouths, line them up and nail into the 4x2. 10 rafters in total, no need for a diagonal bracing strip.

Really appreciated, starting the job on Tuesday and this has given me way more confidence - I'd been thinking I'll get a better pitch with 1 rather than 2 anyway.

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
No need for diagonal bracing and just skew nail the rafters to the wall plate at 16" or 400mm centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back