More maths

Thanks for your replies people, but can anyone explain how any integer is equal to the product of zero and infinity?

Or do we need to explore infinity? after all, infinity plus 1 = infinity, and infinity - 100 = infinity? infinity divided by 2 = iinfinity?

And Infinity - (infinity - 1) = 1?

I'm confused !

infinity is not a number!! do not attempt arithmetic with it, it's a concept.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies people, but can anyone explain how any integer is equal to the product of zero and infinity?

Or do we need to explore infinity? after all, infinity plus 1 = infinity, and infinity - 100 = infinity? infinity divided by 2 = iinfinity?

I'm confused !

infinity is not a number!! do not attempt arithmetic with it, it's a concept.

so can you quantify -1? or even zero? or Pi? Pi goes on forever, yet we can use it?

what's wrong with 1/0 in maths?

Infinity is not a number, hence you cannot do arithmetic with it.
How does algebra work then?

with numbers.

not always. Take the curve of 1/x, using the limits of 0 and infinity, you can generate a "cone" that has a larger surface area than volume. In other words if you fill it with paint, there will not be enough paint inside it to paint the outside of the cone. No other numbers were harmed in this equation

Eh?

It's a paradox. There are many in maths but I recall that one because it was the first that we were taught during A Level maths.

Sponsored Links

I'm confused !

infinity minus infinity does not equal 0.

it is referred to as an undefined operation because we don't know how big infinity is

Sounds silly but we can't be sure that the infinities in your example are the same size.

In your earlier examples we know that infinity is awfully large and 1s and 2s (etc) are comparatively awfully small and inconsequential (in comparison). hence your earlier answers are correct.

I'm confused !

Substitute the word infinity for apple, then you may understand. infinity is NOT repeat NOT a number.

I'm confused !

Substitute the word infinity for apple, then you may understand. infinity is NOT repeat NOT a number.

Quite right... as it would be .. err... an apple?

So, if you divide one number by another and get a recurring answer that goes on infinitely, is this not a number....?

So, if you divide one number by another and get a recurring answer that goes on infinitely, is this not a number....?

Is what not a number? The two you divided by? Yes. Viz 1/3 1 is number, 3 is a number the result is 0.3 recurring or one third. What the value of the decimal at infinity is not known as it is not a number (3 is an unsatisfactory response btw)

Is what not a number? The two you divided by? Yes. Viz 1/3 1 is number, 3 is a number the result is 0.3 recurring or one third. What the value of the decimal at infinity is not known as it is not a number (3 is an unsatisfactory response btw)

Eddie, you come across as though someone has just threatened your daughter !!!

I would just like to understand why 1 divided by 3 is not a number? 0.3 recurring is a number surely?

Sponsored Links
Back