More on spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are many topics about spurs but I really need to be clear that I know the rules on them before doing any work.

I am currently installing an ensuite where waste water will be pumped using a saniflo to the existing soil stack. I figured while I was doing the internal wall that I would add an extra double power socket too. I intend to break into the existing ring and add a 30 amp JB and spur for a double power socket. From this double socket I want to spur the power for the saniflo via a 5 amp switchless fused terminal as per manufacturer's recommendations. Does this comply with the regs?

Sponsored Links
Couple of questions if I may :D

Is the double socket in the ensuite
Where are you going to locate the fused spur for the Saniflo
Will the jb be accessible

Come back to me on these then I can help.

Hi Alpcon,

Thanks for the reply. Firstly, Definitely not, the double socket will be located on the partition wall between the ensuite and bedroom in the bedroom area not the ensuite. I was thinking of having the switchless fuse terminal also on the same surface as the power socket. Switchless also because its a saniflo and I want to reduce the risk of it accidently getting knocked or switched off. The JB will be fixed to the floor joists under the floorboards, which will be made accessible within the bedroom by pulling back the carpet.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Sounds ok to me

But as you are carrying out work associated with a special location you will have to notify building control of your intensions so they can inspect, test and pass your installation.

Also sockets and switches have to be located between 450 and 1200mm measured from the finished floor level. Might be an idea to position your fcu at the higher point eg top of plate at 1200.

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok to me

Also sockets and switches have to be located between 450 and 1200mm measured from the finished floor level. Might be an idea to position your fcu at the higher point eg top of plate at 1200.

This only applies to new build.

No it doesn't. What about extensions, refurbishments and the like :D

Do it right from day one and you cant go wrong :!:

ooh im a poet and I didn't know it:cool:

Set the top of the fcu switch at the 1200 mark and you are less likely to knock off the switch which I believe is what you wanted in the first place :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. What about extensions, refurbishments and the like :D

You're wrong my little rhyming poet
No need to put any accessories at 450 - 1200mm on refurbs & extensions.
As luminaire say's it's currently only for newbuilds, part M of building regs I belive.

An extension is classified as new build :D

Certain aspects of refurbishments and alterations are classified as new build :D

So electrics, plumbing and gas come under the umbrella of the building regs and the regs also state that you should take very opportunity to imrove the existing build and its installations. However this was not the point I was trying to make :eek:

I was simply pointing out that as the gent didnt want to knock of the spur to the Saniflo by accident he could set the top of the switch plate at 1200 as per the regs :!:

At least according to approved document M in a domestic situation unless you are doing a complete strip back to external walls only type refurb or a complete new build you do not need to follow the part M heights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back