More on sub-mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following recent discussions, I have continued my exploration of my electrical installation, which has resulted in a further question. The short-form of the question is as follows; depending on replies, I can provide further background/detail if required.....

Is it acceptable to have a single switch-fuse protecting two sub-mains (wired separately from the switch-fuse) given (a) that the fuse would be satisfactory for either of the sub-mains alone and (b) that the rating of the fuse is satisfactory in relation to the total design current of all circuits involved? On the face of it, I can see no real problem with this (even in the vanishingly improbable scenario of simultaneous shorts at the end of both sub-mains), and can so far find nothing in the regs which appear to prohibit it - although, as always, I may be missing something! The context is such that lack of discrimination/selectivity between the two sub-mains circuits would not really be an 'inconvenence'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
you would be installing larger than necessary, discrimiation and isolation are the issues

prefectly ok but not good engineering

you would be installing larger than necessary, discrimiation and isolation are the issues
prefectly ok but not good engineering
Thanks. This is not a proposed installation, but an existing situation which I have inherited. As I said, lack of discrimination (and, similarly, lack of ability to isolate the sub-mains separately) is really not much of a concern. My inclination is therefore to allow it to remain as it is.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back