More rules and regulations for our enjoyment

Sponsored Links
God it's an ancient bit of paper from 1993(part 2 included cantilevers, bridging etc) but it was a full weeks course, and I could still build a tube and fitting scaffold with no flaws today. Ok if it needs fully sheeted(wind consideration) or is carrying major loads then a competently designed one may be needed.
My main beef with H&S is that it makes my workplace more dangerous, I'd go so far to say it contradicts the basics of the 1974 HASAW regs. It's an abdication of any responsibility to the whole environment (not my job, it's so and so's).
Best bit was the site meeting at the top, 70ft up, working down to identify bricks that needed replaced etc. The apprentice leaned on the handrail (turner +8 cuplock) and it hadn't been tightened properly.... We went over the scaffold after and found a few dozen similar.
H&S seems to me to be an insidious EU interference these days to push out small companies who need a certificate to do anything. This leaves the doors open for major contractors to do it all, because they can afford these dubious "training" programs on a regular basis. Bet there's a wee financial connection between these companies and the lawmakers?
It's a frigging insult to any of us who work safely at all times. Lets face it, anyone on a site who is quickly recognised as a danger to anyone including themselves rarely lasts, they either have enough sense to leave or the manager would let them go. And the recruitment/interview process would probably ensure they never got there in the first place.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Although given his area of expertese and CRB clearances, he could apply for jobs as the School Head of Information Technology ;)

Which brings us on to the subject of CRB checks. As we all know, a short number of years ago it was announced for example, that if I as a parent helped a neighbour by picking up from school, or caring for their child on a regular basis, then I would need to attain CRB clearance (plus pay for it at approx £36). Although this mad rule has obviously been dropped, I wonnder how many people actually went through the process or decided to no longer help that neighbour/relative.

What about other crazy rules that have been dropped due to being unworkable - can anyone cite any examples?

Back